Uk Newbie Here Needs Advice

Decorating By chontvn Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 4:39pm by chontvn

chontvn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chontvn Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 4

I am a complete novice and wondered if any of you ladies could advise me. I made my very first rose out of flower paste at a cake show the other week in white.

Just wondered can you colour the white flowerpaste, if so whats the best product to use and do you do it before of after, or do you have to buy the coloured flowerpaste.

Thanks loads.

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 4

Hi there, welcome to CC!. icon_smile.gif

I use Squires flower paste when I am making flowers. For other colours, I buy precoloured ones. They have a good range of colours. There is another flower paste which is from A Piece Of Cake. But I don't like the texture of it. So you might have to choose which one works best for you or you can make your own too!

You can colour the paste before you make the flowers or make them in white and dust it with powder colours. That is what we do in Alan Dunn's classes. But if you need to colour them gold or silver, you need to lightly colour them in yellow or gray and make the flowers and paint them in gold or silver lustre dust mix with clear alcohol.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 4

you can colour the flower paste first using a gel food colouring adding a small amount at a time to achieve the colour you want.( use a cocktail stick to add the colour). le it rest for a few hours before using to allow the colour to mature and deepen.

chontvn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chontvn Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks bashini at least that gives me an idea of what im meant to be doing lol!

Ooh thanks i like the sound of food gel.

x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%