Selling Via The Internet

Business By Sweetstuff2 Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 2:24pm by saberger

Sweetstuff2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetstuff2 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 7

Hi - I have a licensed, health-inspected site in New Jersey (not a storefront). We are thinking about running a trial to see if we can get cookie bouquet / baskets orders online. If googled everthing I can think of, but I can't seem to find any information if I need special licensing for this - assume I need something since I'm shipping across state lines - or even within my own state?

Does anyone else do this and if so can you give me any direction on where I need to start.

6 replies
jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 7

Your County Health Department should be able to answer that for you I would think.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 7

Good luck!!

TheGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheGoods Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:24am
post #4 of 7

I was kind of thinking of doing internet sales too. From what I found online I believe you need to adhere to FDA/USDA regulations for labeling since you're crossing state lines. I'm not sure if there's a federal licensing process or if state licensing suffices. Good luck!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 7

I think if it's coming from a licensed kitchen, you are good to go. But, check first with your Dept. of Ag or Health Dept (whoever inspects you)

Best wishes -

Jen icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 7

If you are shipping across states you must have a food manufacturers lic from your state AND put ingredient labels on what you are shipping. I have a cake of the month club and ship out of state on one of my subscriptions.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 7

Cakesdivine - Does that apply to selling/shipping gumpaste flowers and butterflies?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%