Clay Extruder

Decorating By AverageMom Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 11:24pm by AverageMom

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 8

Do any of you own/use a clay extruder with your fondant? If so, what type or brand? Does it work well? Do you need a lot of muscle to push the fondant through? I'm making my Christmas wish list!

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 8

I use the Makins extruder with the twist top, the green one. It doesn't take a lot of muscle, no more than a cookie press with a twist top.

I used it for the gold details on here:

It comes with a couple of plates that make the rope border without you having to make several ropes and twist them together.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 8

My is actually a polymer clay extruder and it works very well. I bought it because it was less expensive then the for cake models.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 8

I use the same one as Texas Rose. Got it at Hobby Lobby for around $10 with a 40% off coupon. It's in the clay isle and works great! I can't pipe because my hands cramp, but I can use this easily.

ETA: hands...I have two hands

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 8

Ditto on the Makins green T one. I LOVE it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 8

I love the Makins Ultimate Clay Extruder--a pale green aluminum tube with a "T" twist handle. Nice long extrusions, easy to turn handle, easy to clean, lots of disks. You just add some crisco to your fondant and twist away!

You can google the name and it comes up in several places.

RAe

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 8

Me too on the Makins. I actually was very disappointed in mine til I found out I was not using it correctly. The top screw part was stuck. I had to use a wrench to hold it while I loosened the top. Now I am very happy with it.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone! I was looking at the Makins one online. On the list it goes!

I can't pipe, either, cs confections. My hands cramp, and on a good day they are just too shaky. I tried using an old icing tube thing (plastic, you push the plunger and the icing comes out) and the fondant refused to come out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%