How Do I Make A Stack Of Books Cake?? Help!

Decorating By StarBerry Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 8:45pm by cb_one

StarBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarBerry Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 2

I've been searching all over to find out how to do this- Ive never done books before and I have questions! Please help icon_smile.gif
**1. How do I make the bottom book cover? is it just the board covered in fondant or do I make a top and bottom- where does the board go? under the bottom cover or between the cover and the cake?? I cant figure this out!
2. I have 4 hours/day for the 3 days before delivery to complete this cake, should I cover everything on day 2 or day 3?

Hopefully some wise cake decorator out there can help me- I need to start today so any tips at all about a book cake will be greatly appreciated!!

Happy Baking everyone icon_smile.gif

1 reply
cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 2

I did one over the summer. Its really not that hard to do. I mixed a little gumpaste into my fondant so it would set a little firm like a book cover.
Make your square cake, then roll out a sheet of fondant to cover the top and binder of the book. Make sure you extend the Fondant about 1/4" on the top.
Then I made a strip of fondant for the pages and wrapped it around the 3 exposed sides of the cake. Then take a Veining tool and make your lines to look like pages.
Finally I cut out thin strips of Fondant for the bottom of the cake. I thought I would have to place the cake on Fondant for the bottom, but you dont have too.

I'm not real good at giving directions, and i'll try to upload my picture so you can see it.

If you have any questions, you can always leave me a message. Good Luck with it.

Craig

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%