Is There A Tutorial For Making A Book Cake?

Decorating By krm52200 Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 4:16pm by FlourPots

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make a book cake for my daughter's reading teacher. I could have sworn I saw a tutorial or instructions somewhere on CC but now I can't seem to locate it.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction or if you've made a cake book, let me know the how to's? I just want to do small closed book with a bookworm on top.

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

6 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 7

It's pretty straightforward. Look closely at a picture of one, find the seams where fondant panels were joined, find a tool to make the page marks on the edges, carve your cake to give the indentation of the book towards the spine. Just gotta do a little investigating.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 7

I've got one in my pics (I really need to put more out on here). I wish I would have taken a better pic but there is a gumpaste bookmark sticking out on the side. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try and help.

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:40am
post #4 of 7
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:

ooh your idea of putting the strip as the bottom cover its genius! I did an entire sheet of fondant just for the bottom. I am so doing it your way next time for that part.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 7

Aw crap...should've mentioned icon_redface.gif ...that blog isn't mine, it's one of my favorites though...didn't mean to mislead icon_redface.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%