Mmf Not The Correct Color--Help!

Decorating By valbos22 Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm by Texas_Rose

valbos22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valbos22 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:18am
post #1 of 7

Made MMF with pink marshmallows as this is for a Lightening McQueen cake for my son. I followed the directions and added the red color to the melted marshmallows before adding the powdered sugar. I used half of the taller sized no tasted red color and it still looks pink. How long before the true color appears? Three outcomes-- could I add more color to the MMF and knead it in? Or would it be better to "paint" the color onto the finished cake since the base MMF color is a deep pink? OR do I have to start over? icon_cry.gif

6 replies
valbos22 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:38am
post #2 of 7

Looking around the fourm and it looks like I may also have to deal with fading even if I get the color correct. So if I were to used the color to "paint" should I wait until day off to do it and what would I mix the color with the paint it on? Visualizing a bunch of 5 year olds with stained on clown mouths, what about the wilton spray? icon_twisted.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:45am
post #3 of 7

Painting doesn't fade but it can be hard to get the color on evenly. The Wilton spray would go on evenly.

Sometimes fondant will darken overnight, you could wait and see if it's a better color tomorrow, but it's probably not going to go from pink to red.

Marronglace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marronglace Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:49am
post #4 of 7

I would add a packet of cherry Kool-Aid mix to your fondant. I did that with a cake in the past, where I needed RED fondant and it worked like a charm! thumbs_up.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:12am
post #5 of 7

I had to use an entire bottle of red and it still wasn't red enough for my caboose. I use Super Red all the time now. I also plan to invest in an airbrush, especially for red and black. I would paint it and no, you don't have to wait. I paint my fondant right away. You may also want to buy some satin ice red next time. Just a warning- it dries really fast!

valbos22 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 7

Yep, it is still pink. Question on the Kool-aid-- wouldn't it make the fondant grainy or are you adding it to the melted marshmallow stage of making it?

I used the Wilton Spray on my Spiderman cake but I think I had to order it special. We were still finding red when we detailed the house to move this year. We are in Denver now so there should be some great cake shops-- Albuquerque only had one! Oooo a great excuse to go cake shop supply shopping!

So the whole jar wouldn't even have worked? That makes me feel a little better although I know the frustration you are/were feeling!

Airbrush would be cool but I only make a few cakes a year-- started the tradition with my daughter 10 years ago and now twice a year I get a frantic crazy week questioning my sanity on that choice, lol. It's very rewarding to slice the cake up at the end, anyone else understand that craziness? icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 7

I've done it with the Koolaid before and it was a little grainy and very tart.

While you're at the cake supply shop, pick up a bottle of Americolor super red icon_biggrin.gif

Michaels sells the Wilton spray colors. They're easier to find than they used to be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%