Wanting To Start Making Cakes

Decorating By SweetNSassy1 Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 3:16pm by AmandaGudi

SweetNSassy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetNSassy1 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:11am
post #1 of 5

I want to start making cakes but I've looked for classes around where I live, and the lady that does them can't do the class because she doesn't have enough people sign up. So I've decided I would just teach myself. But there is just one problem, I don't know where to start.

Could anyone give me some pointers or tips? Or advice on where I should start? Like what things I should start out buying, and all that?

PLEASE HELP! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:36am
post #2 of 5

Many of us are self-taught, so it is possible. CC is the BEST resource for all things cake. I found CC after doing cakes for 25+ years. I thought I pretty much had it down. I've learned more from CC in 3 years than I did in the whole 25 years prior to that!

When I learned, there was no food channel, no cable, no you-tube, no videos ..... I bought a wilton book, some bags and tips and starting reading the how-to section in the wilton books. With the videos 'n such available today, you'll have a much easier time than us oldies did "back in the day"! icon_lol.gif

Basic tips to buy for BC: Writing tip (for drawing lines and writing "happy birthday); star tip (for borders) ... get 2-3 different sizes of this one; a rose tip (a #103 and/or #104); a rose nail; a leaf tip; couplers.

Fondant is like playing with play doh. Since I just work with fondant sporadically, I'll let some regular fondant users give you ideas for what you'll need to work with fondant. I can tell you there are some really cool daisy cutters that you can use to build "layered" daisies that look really neat! (like on my 50th birthday cake, here: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1303013 )

You'll need a good icing recipe ... I'm biased but I recommend this one: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/author/indydebi

I'm sure you'll get lots more great advice pop in here to help you out.

By the way, welcome to CC ..... you'll soon be addicted like the rest of us!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 5

Welcome! Classes are helpful, but there are so many resources online these days, that you can become quite proficient that way.

I highly recommend our lovely CC member tonedna's Youtube videos, especially the ones labeled "Cake Decorating 101" and the especially "How to ice a cake" and "How to stack a cake...my way!" There are many other artists on Youtube, you can find them easily by searching for 'cake decorating', but her videos would be a great way for you to start.

Oh, and hang out on CC 18 hours a day, read every thread, and ask lots of questions. thumbs_up.gif

Welcome!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:20am
post #4 of 5

Hi and Welcome to CC, SweetNSassy1. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

HTH

AmandaGudi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaGudi Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 5

SweetNSassy1...It is a little intimidating at first but this really is an awesome site. Take some time to browse through the forums and you'll really learn anything you need to know complete with recipes, pictures, step by step instructions, videos, and suggestions. It really is all trial and error. You just dive in and try new things and you'll learn as you go what things and methods work for you and which ones don't. Indydebi had some good suggestions of things to start with. If you plan on working with fondant- definitely get yourself a good mat and rolling pin. The fondant smoother from wilton also comes in really handy. Good luck! If you have any questions just search the forums and it's almost guaranteed you'll find your answer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%