Mickey Cake/customer Reaction (Long)

Decorating By whit6 Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm by NJCakeDiva

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:06am
post #1 of 16

So my mothers old boss had asked me to do a Mickey cake for her daughters birthday. Now i guess I should have seen it coming because my mom ended up moving positions because she was difficult to work with. Mymom thinks she is all around a good person but very exact and wants things exactly her way. (she told me mother she wiped the counter wrong.....clue much? lol) Anyway, so i sent her pictures to give her ideas and then how I could do it different etc and she seemed very excited in the emails so i figured she would be rather easy to please. At first she ws very iffy about the idea of using fondant but ended up saying it was fine.

Well skip forward to the day im making it, everything was ready to go and done I just needed to cover the cake, add the details and it was done. Well my red MMF just would NOT work. I kept adding water, sometimes crisco, sometimes more sugar. it was at that weird stage where you cant quite figure out what it needs. After trying to cover the cake 4 times i gave up. It would get closer to the right consistency but still lacked the elasticity im used to. I ended up just using red buttercream and considering she wasnt thrilled with fondant i thought it would be ok and i would just knock some money off the price.

She comes to pick it up, walks in and has NO reaction whatsover! It was so odd to me because she seemed so excited by the pictures I sent her. I explained to her what happened and gaver her a discount (way too much of one too..i already made that cake for cheap cheap cheap as it is!) I apologized to her but told her id rather her have a cake then one that the fondant would crack and fall off taking the decor with it. She says "ok your still learning.....(pause).....wel i guess it will still taste ok....." What?? I felt like a child..it was very condescending. Then her husband is standing there so awkwardly and ask "what are these ears made of..plastic?" I told him no its fondant all homemade and edible. He looks away and walks out the door and they leave. Overall just an odd encounter lol

I think id feel worse about it if i was unhappy witht the cake myself but i actually realy liked the cake so im not going to beat myself up over it. Oh well....next time.
LL

15 replies
JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:14am
post #2 of 16

I think it's adorable. Not sure what her problem was. Honestly some people are just odd ducks. And I found years ago that there are people who absolutely NO matter what you do, you can't please them. You offer them your hand and they want your arm kinda thing. I also find it amazing the number of people who can't craft/sculpt/sew/be creative believe that WHATEVER they have in THEIR brain can be made JUST the way they want it. They should make it themselves. I believe movie creators are to blame because they often say "if you can dream it, we can make it". But that's ONLY in the movies.

Your cake is soooo cute, let their reactions go.

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:52am
post #3 of 16

I was expecting to scroll down and see some kind of BC monstrocity...you made a great cake! Really, it's so cute and the couple should have been happy with it. At least you know you made a good quality product and the birthday kiddo will love it. Take heart in that. icon_smile.gif

Edited to say: NOT that I think all BC cakes are monstocities! I was actually picturing the mangling that I still pull off sometimes trying to get my BC smooth. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:56am
post #4 of 16

It's a really adorable cake! Great save!

Just for the record, Disney stuff is copyrighted and we can get in big trouble for selling it. Not trying to lecture or anything like that, just a FYI for the future icon_biggrin.gif

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:59am
post #5 of 16

That is so annoying that she didn't absolutely LOVE the cake b/c it is TOOOOOOOOO cute!!!!!!!!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:36am
post #6 of 16

Please pardon my confusion...but I don't understand the cake. It's his hat, shorts, gloves, and shoes...what does that mean? Again, please forgive my confusion...

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:53am
post #7 of 16

I had a similiar situation, a previous coworker, firsy they said oh, whatever you want to do, then 3 calls later it was like a laundry list of precise details sedning me pics of someone else's work that used techniques I do not do, like using inedible paper decorations as decor, etc. Anywyas, he picked up the cake when I was out of the house and my husband said the guy just sort of was quiet, paid and left right away, haven;t heard one way or the other whether they liked it or not. Don;pt beat your self up, you never know what they are thinking, the work itself looks great, perhaps she in her mind had another mental picture of what she was getting, perhaps, size etc so just be proud of what you put out there and move on to the next

whit6 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:38am
post #8 of 16

cakepro

It was just sort of a representation of him without actually having his face...just some of his distinctive attributes. Just an idea i had that i thought would be cute

whit6 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:41am
post #9 of 16

Thank you all for your kind words icon_smile.gif

Marronglace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marronglace Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:45am
post #10 of 16

I think the cake is adorable too!

I wouldn't even give that reaction a second thought, because as you said YOU liked the cake and that's the most important thing. icon_smile.gif

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:57am
post #11 of 16

O MY GOSH!!!! I would have just told them to please leave and slammed the door, cause if it was me I don't know what I would have done. or said. (cause I speak my mind NO MATTER WHAT!! lolz im a kid can ya blame me? lol) Your cake looked perfect!!!! and she still said its OK cause your still learning!!! then said well it will still taste good Right?????!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!! no way I would have refused to give them the cake and said well maybe if you hurry walmart might have one for you! LOLz but thats just me--- but you handled it the "right way" im just glad that I wasn't in that situation cause I dont know if I would have been able to LOL MMex

LOL sorry for gettin all riled up but man customers huh...

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:42am
post #12 of 16

The cake is great and very creative. Some people are creative and don't appreciate how much work, time and effort it takes. Clearly she is a difficult person and doesn't realize it is a specialty cake and she should have paid a fortune. Anyhow don't beat yourself up for it. Great Job. I have had a similar situation. I was given a picture and gave her exactly what she asked for. She would have paid more for an ice cream cake at Dairy Queen LOL, Anyhow She was a referal from a friend. Long story short she complained about the cake after she said she loved it and it was a hit at the party. I had a few choice words for her ( It was bigger then me I couldn't help it lol) and told her I didn't need her business and now she is paying a fortune for all her cakes.
Keep up the good work and don't let anyone make you feel any different.

whit6 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:50am
post #13 of 16

So just an update, my mom talked to her today at work and now she was all happy about the cake. She said her daughter absolutely loved it (her daughter is actually 23, not like 7 lol) and that everyone at the party couldnt stop talking about it and how cute it was and tasted so good. Just kinda funny to me how NOW shes happy with it after she became the hero of the party icon_confused.gif lol....know what I mean? Im just glad to not have doubts anymore! icon_razz.gif

CakeRx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRx Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:17am
post #14 of 16

I don't know why some people are weird about their cakes. I made a baby shower cake for a lady a month or so ago. It was some of my cleaner work (still getting there) and I was very pleased with it. (My pink bow baby bottom). When she met me on delivery, she took it from me and placed it in her car. In a barely audible voice, she said "oh...that's....cute." It was disconcerting because the cake was exactly what she asked for. Since then, I've had several calls from people who attended her shower and now want that cake. Go figure.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:34pm
post #15 of 16

If you had covered it in fondant, she probably would have complained about the taste! lol Some people are never happy unless they are complaining! It's a cute cake...and I think the idea is creative!

NJCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakeDiva Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm
post #16 of 16

What an adorable cake. I think it turned out great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%