What Cutters Can't You Live Without?

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 1:22am by iwantcookies

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 33

I need to expand my very paltry cutter collection and was hoping you would share some of your favorites. I need some for flowers, borders, other decorations, etc. (yeah - really everything!) icon_smile.gif I did searches and there are so many great ones to choose from, deciding on the best ones is so difficult. TIA!

32 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 33

My favorite are the Jem 5 petal rose cutters in a variety of sizes.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:03am
post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

My favorite are the Jem 5 petal rose cutters in a variety of sizes.

A great buy!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:04am
post #4 of 33

My diamond cutters and round rose cutters are some of my favorites! I'm glad you posted this because I have to expand a little too and it will be fun to see what others think icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:16am
post #5 of 33

At first I thought you meant regular cookie cutters. I have so many favorites!

As for fondant cutters, I love the spiral swirl (I hope that describes it accurately). I have it in several sizes; it can be used to match or contrast with the background for very different effects; and on many styles of cakes.

emlashlee Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:50am
post #6 of 33

[quote="cutthecake"]At first I thought you meant regular cookie cutters. I have so many favorites!

quote]

Oh, please, if you have favorite cookie cutters - share away! icon_smile.gif I have the plastic tub of Wilton 100 pc. and still feel like I don't have what I need. Would love to hear what your favs are.

P.S. - Sorry I keep editing but can't get the quote to work right.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:54am
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

As for fondant cutters, I love the spiral swirl (I hope that describes it accurately). I have it in several sizes; it can be used to match or contrast with the background for very different effects; and on many styles of cakes.

What is the spiral swirl cutter??? Can you post a pic, please?

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:56am
post #8 of 33

I love my set of teardrop shaped cutters. When I first got them, I didn't know what to do with them. Now, I use them for peonies and roses and I know, I'll use them for many more things. I also love my funky letter tappits.

DianeLM Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:58am
post #9 of 33

I love the white PME daisy plunger cutters. They come in lots of sizes and are so easy to use.

I also love the Ateco shape sets - round, square, teardrop, etc..

emlashlee Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

I love my set of teardrop shaped cutters. When I first got them, I didn't know what to do with them. Now, I use them for peonies and roses and I know, I'll use them for many more things. I also love my funky letter tappits.

I wondered what I would use the teardrop cutters for too! I didn't think about making flowers.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 33

I use my teardrop cutters for flowers. I also could not live without my huge collection of various circles. Seriously.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 33

The hydrangea cutter/veiner set and the blossom cutter/veiner set.

LOVE to make "stock" flowers out of the blossom set and have them on hand to pop on cakes.

Jen icon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 33

I also love my PME daisy plunger cutters, butterflies too.

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 33

My favorite are the PME cutters with plungers. I love the leaves ones (rose and ivy) and all the flowers (Sunflower, Gerbera, Daisy set is gorgeous!). They're so easy to use and such time savers. icon_smile.gif
Then I also like and find very helpfull the FMM frill sets.

emlashlee Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 33

Thanks so much for your votes, everybody! I really appreciate it. My list is growing longer and longer... icon_smile.gif

Marronglace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marronglace Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:48pm
post #16 of 33

Blossom plunger cutters and Rose Leaf (with built-in veiner) plunger cutters. icon_smile.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:51pm
post #17 of 33

Do the daisies come out nice and easy with the plunger set? I just used my fmm daisy one this past week and they were very difficult to get out of the cutter.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:19pm
post #18 of 33

I love my funky alp cutters, frill cutters, and daisy plungers.

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:28pm
post #19 of 33

All my alphabet tappits in different fonts!

DianeLM Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:38pm
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Do the daisies come out nice and easy with the plunger set? I just used my fmm daisy one this past week and they were very difficult to get out of the cutter.

Oh heck yes! WAY easier!! I still haven't been able to get my FMM daisy cutter to work right, either. I've been following your other thread and, to be honest, it hasn't given me much hope. LOL

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:57pm
post #21 of 33

I love plunger cutters! I got my first set last week (snowflakes) - they are AWESOME.

I'm going to order a whole bunch more.

elizacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizacake Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:09pm
post #22 of 33

As several people have mentioned...
My favorite cutters are the Ateco round set and my blossom plungers. icon_smile.gif

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:36pm
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I love the white PME daisy plunger cutters. They come in lots of sizes and are so easy to use.

I also love the Ateco shape sets - round, square, teardrop, etc..

I have one of the PME Daisy plungers approx 4" wide. Any tips on getting a clean cut? I am always having to cut all edges with my exacto knife. TIA

emlashlee Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:55pm
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMeister

I love plunger cutters! I got my first set last week (snowflakes) - they are AWESOME.

I'm going to order a whole bunch more.

Ohhh! Those sound pretty! Care to post a pic? icon_smile.gif

lecrn Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:11am
post #25 of 33

I have one of the PME Daisy plungers approx 4" wide. Any tips on getting a clean cut? I am always having to cut all edges with my exacto knife. TIA[/quote]

Make sure your fondant/gp is thin enough & the same thickness. I played around with the thickness before I got it right. I've had better luck using gp or fondant with added tylose.
What I do is press the cutter into the paste, then kind of slide the cutter back & forth on the counter to make sure it's cut. Then I turn the cutter over with the paste still in the cutter and clean the edges with my fingers. This helps prevent the rough edges. I place the cutter with the paste still in back on the counter and press the plunger.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:31am
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I saw a great set of playdough cutters for $10 at the dollar general store the other day...it had different sizes of letters and numbers, animal shapes, and several molds too....I will likely go back and purchase it!

anamado Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:07am
post #27 of 33

I forgot to mention my alphabet cutter set. It was quite cheap and I like the font SO MUCH! The size is just great for fondant!!!
You can see it here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/183-ivory-Alphabet-birthday-cookie-cutter-mould-press_W0QQitemZ110458625987QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ?hash=item19b7d8dfc3
I use them all the time icon_smile.gif

This seller also has plunger cutters very similar to PME ones at a lower price.
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Baking-Frenzy__W0QQ_dmdZ1QQ_sidZ140265132QQ_vcZ1?_nkw=plunger&submit=Search

lecrn Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:56pm
post #28 of 33

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Baking-Frenzy__W0QQ_dmdZ1QQ_sidZ140265132QQ_vcZ1?_nkw=plunger&submit=Search[/quote]

Do you have some of these plunger cutters? If so, are they pretty good cutters? I'm excited! I may have to buy some.

anamado Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:10pm
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Baking-Frenzy__W0QQ_dmdZ1QQ_sidZ140265132QQ_vcZ1?_nkw=plunger&submit=Search

Do you have some of these plunger cutters? If so, are they pretty good cutters? I'm excited! I may have to buy some.

Well, I have the alphabet cutters for couple of years now, and I am very satisfied with them. The plunger cutters, as I had already the ones from PME, I didn't buy them (this was about 2 years ago). BUT I did buy 3 days ago the heart plunger cutters and I am expecting them any day this week!!!! icon_biggrin.gif PME doesn't have the heart cutters. I'll let you know when they get here.

lecrn Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:17pm
post #30 of 33

Well, I have the alphabet cutters for couple of years now, and I am very satisfied with them. The plunger cutters, as I had already the ones from PME, I didn't buy them (this was about 2 years ago). BUT I did buy 3 days ago the heart plunger cutters and I am expecting them any day this week!!!! icon_biggrin.gif PME doesn't have the heart cutters. I'll let you know when they get here.[/quote]

I went ahead and bought the snowflakes. I wanted the blossom cutters as well, but she's sold out. From the pics, they look just like the PME.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%