Attaching Leaves To Gumpaste Branches?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm by MrsNancyB1

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 6

I'm not really sure how to do this, although I've been brainstorming some ideas.

I want to attach leaves to a gumpaste tree branch in order to make a tree. Obviously, I will need to cut many leaves, and bunch them together to make it look more realistic. My question is HOW do I do that? How do I attach them to the branches to make them look more realistic?

TIA!

5 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 6

Put the leaves on wires and wrap them with brown floral tape. Attach them in the same fashion.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 6

Do you mean wrap the bunch of leaves AROUND the branch with brown floral tape?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:25am
post #4 of 6

Another CC'er suggested I try dipping grape vines (minus the grapes, of course) into candy melts.

I put gumpaste on a lollipop stick to make the trunk, then attached the grape vine to it. I painted milk choc candy melts on the trunks , made a gumpaste base so they's stand and dipped the vines into green candy melts. Worked like a charm! See my photos (tank diorama). icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:39am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakea

Do you mean wrap the bunch of leaves AROUND the branch with brown floral tape?

I'm pretty sure what Reenie meant was you want to insert wires into your leaves and then wrap the brown tape around the wires themselves.

Here's are a couple of youtube videos that should help: (the 1st one will show you how to wire your leaves and the second will show you how to to tape your leaves together to form a bunch of leaves that you can then attach to your branches).

HTH!

MrsNancyB1 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone.

However, the question still remains, once I bunch up the leaves with floral tape how do I attach them to the tree branch??

Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%