I Was Reading This Blog When This Line Caught My Eye..omg

Decorating By ASimpleBaker Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 8:29pm by __Jamie__

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 13

The line says "Specialty cake decorators can be costly, sometimes shady and very time consuming. " Sometimes SHADY?? icon_confused.gif Specialty cake artists are nefarious creatures?? icon_redface.gificon_mad.gif here is the link... http://tiffanycullen01.blogspot.com...scroll down its near the bottom. Although they tote a famous bakery, it seems wrong to defame other cakers in the process...

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 13

Well I didn't take it that way myself. I mean there are the unscrupulous in every occupation.

I mean there aren't that many shady cakers though.

But I think we often bite off more than we can chew and maybe don't deliver what we wanted and what was expected?

I don't know.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 13

So I guess what I'm saying is I don't think it's defamation and I don't think it's wrong to point out there's cakers with issues--for example CakeWrecks huh. But it's not the best form to do it right by the stunning signature cakes of a talented artist.

So I do see what you mean--kinda rankling on Pink CakeBoxes behalf though.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 13

I couldn't get the link to work. Maybe they took it down. I tried it a couple of times.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 13
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 13

I didn't read it that way either. I read it as a "here's one side of the story and wow did I find someone who's NOT like that!" type of introductin to Pink Cake Box. If she had gone off on a tangent, implying that ALL cakers were that way, I'd see your point, but I don't believe that's where she was heading with this. It's a very good tribute to the work at Pink Box.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 13

What you've NEVER seen a dodgy cake? you aint spent much time looking then darlin!!!

I agree wholeheartedly! there are LOTS of cakers out there who see a picture of a true cake masterpiece and think.... oh I CAN do that !!
so they do! BUT I don't do fondant or I can't make roses ... it will look just the same in buttercream huh?? and they THINK it looks just as good as the original designer.... so they CHARGE using the method that seems to be favoured by the multitudes - ring around and find what everybody else is charging!!

So the poor client is left with a half-rate cake but has paid for a specialty designer!!

Guess that rates as SOMETIMES SHADY - IT HAPPENS!! icon_wink.gif

Don't tell me you haven't seen a cake that was followed by dozens of comments ..... Amazing!! Fabulous work! Awesome! etc etc and you are sitting there thinking..... Are we looking at the SAME CAKE?

Truly - there are a lot more NEWSWORTHY things to read on the internet!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 13

"Shady Cakers"

Where cake makers go to retire. icon_biggrin.gif

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

"Shady Cakers"

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 13

Well, I don't spend a lot of time hanging around dark alleys trying to get people to buy my cakes, so the shady comment strikes me as wrong, but a lot about that particular blog struck me as wrong. I wouldn't let it bother you too much.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:46pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

"Shady Cakers"

icon_lol.gif

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:29pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

What you've NEVER seen a dodgy cake? you aint spent much time looking then darlin!!!

I agree wholeheartedly! there are LOTS of cakers out there who see a picture of a true cake masterpiece and think.... oh I CAN do that !!
so they do! BUT I don't do fondant or I can't make roses ... it will look just the same in buttercream huh?? and they THINK it looks just as good as the original designer.... so they CHARGE using the method that seems to be favoured by the multitudes - ring around and find what everybody else is charging!!

So the poor client is left with a half-rate cake but has paid for a specialty designer!!

Guess that rates as SOMETIMES SHADY - IT HAPPENS!! icon_wink.gif

Don't tell me you haven't seen a cake that was followed by dozens of comments ..... Amazing!! Fabulous work! Awesome! etc etc and you are sitting there thinking..... Are we looking at the SAME CAKE?

Truly - there are a lot more NEWSWORTHY things to read on the internet!

Mmmmmmhhhmmm. Refer to my siggy. icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%