Fondant Bow

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 4:19pm by DianeLM

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 8

Ok, everybody what did I do wrong. I tried making afondant bow for the first time and what a flop. I think I might have the answer, but not sure. My fondant loops were still soft. I dried them overnight, but they really didn't hold their shape. Please tell me how you made yours exactly. Thanks

7 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 8

What type of fondant bow were you making? A loopy bow, dress bow? If it's a loopy bow, I dry mine over a piece of pvc pipe and then just slide them off. I have made them from 100% fondant and from fondant with tylose. Both dry very nicely. How thick did you roll your fondant? You want to make it as thin as you can.

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:59am
post #3 of 8

I was t rying to make a loopy bow. The fondant wasn't rea thick, probably about 1/8in. anyway, I was using melted chcolate wafers to secure the bows and it didn't hold the loops up at all. I was so disappointed. Just not sure what I did wrong I dried the loops over a dowel rod overnight, but they were not rigid , were they supposed to be? HELP!!

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:05am
post #4 of 8

You need to use either all gumpaste or 1/2 fondant and 1/2 gumpaste. Also roll it out to about 1/16 of an inch thick. You can cut them out and will turn them on their sides to dry. Make some gum glue to hold it all together. Gum glue is gumpaste and water dissolved togther. Allow several hours to dry. The thinner you roll it the faster it will dry but also the thinner you roll it, the more delecate it will be.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:10am
post #5 of 8
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:13am
post #6 of 8

Another way to do the loopy loops. Stick the end of a toothpick in between the two ends as you glue them together. Yes you gum paste and let it dry over night or even two days. Fondant needs a week to dry and may never totally dry or will reabsorb moisture from the air/icing and get soft again.

With the toothpicks glued in the loops you should be able to stick them right into the cake where you want them to go with no glue at all. You just can't rearrange a lot them so place them carefully. icon_wink.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 8

I like to make my bows out of gumpaste, then I can put them thru the pasta machine...they look more real that way.

Just my .02 icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 8

Check out the tutorial in my signature below. Might help you in the future. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%