Cake Colouring

Decorating By chocolate_ganache Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 12:57pm by chocolate_ganache

chocolate_ganache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate_ganache Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry if this has all ready been asked, I couldn't see it anywhere else. Basically, I want to make a cake something like this for my friend's birthday:

http://tinyurl.com/yk77cct
(Mod edited to fix broken link.) icon_smile.gif

The only thing I'm having problems with is actually colouring the cakes. I've been experimenting with liquid colouring, and all it's done is destroy the consistency of the batter and hasn't done anything for the colour (for example, I used a blue liquid colouring, and had to add another 150g of flour to keep the batter right, and then the cakes came out this really weird grey-green colour.) So I've been looking on the internet, and apparently gel food colourings are the way to go. Is that right? How much would I have to use?

Thanks loads!
x

2 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 3

your link is broken! well i say that, but it worked when i was in the reply section... weird.
i used liquid colours without a problem (and without adding more flour) and i have used the gel colours. i just add til it looks right. generally, you need quite a bit.
remember, baking changes the chemistry, and the colour of the cake. if ur cake is yellow, plus blue food dye = green. so for this sort o cake, you are better to start with a white cake.
xx

chocolate_ganache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate_ganache Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 3

I didn't even think about the fact that it was a yellow cake. Sheesh, I feel silly. Thanks loads! xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%