Crisco-Covered Dish Towels Ok In Washer?

Decorating By cserwa Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 9:35pm by veronica720

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 8:51am
post #1 of 12

Ok. Really dumb question. I just worked with fondant for the first time. Rolled it out on my work area using Crisco. I never work with shortening. I cleaned up and have grease-covered dish towels. Are they ok to go in my washing machine or should I toss them? I only ask because I've read about how it's dangerous to not have a grease trap when using shortening and bla bla bla, but that may only be at bakeries where a LOT of shortening is used. No clue. TIA for any insight!

11 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 9:13am
post #2 of 12

It depends on how covered they are. When I use my 'cake cloths' (as I call them) for wiping off my spatulas, I wipe the worst of it off then just toss them in, no problem. Add some bleach and it helps with both cutting the grease and sanitizing the cloths.

What you shouldn't do is wash your BC bowls or utensils without wiping them out/down first. This is when the Crisco will clog the drains, when there's a lot in a little area.

FYI: I took the Wilton courses thru my local college. My instructor told us that so many people had washed their grease down the sink that the drains to the city sewer got clogged. The city had to dig up and clean them out ... and the college got the bill. Now everyone has to take home all their stuff and wash it there.

Someone else may tell you different, though.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 9:32am
post #3 of 12

I would try squeezing dish soap through them and rinsing really well first.

My washer doesn't say anything about grease but my dryer has a warning label that says not to put anything greasy in or it could catch fire.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:00am
post #4 of 12

i agree, the washer would probably be okay, but don't put them in the dryer, you may be sorry. I have seen towels catch fire before, but they have been loaded with oil, if you just have a small amount on your towels hand rinse to make sure most of the grease is out of them then you should be okay, if they are saturated toss them, its much safer.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 11:29am
post #5 of 12

I use paper towels to wipe out my bowls and clean up the excess shortening. Tired of all my dishtowels getting grease soaked. It just doesn't come out.

Susan

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 12

I agree with suzylynn58, I use paper towels for my really greasy jobs and for a quick hand wipe or clean up, cheap paper napkins. I keep a stack of them on my work bench. This was a hint from my Wilton instructor.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 12

NO don't put that in your washer. Use a half sink full of the hottest water you can run and then a couple tablespoons of Dawn and wash those towels in the sink to dissolve the grease. Be sure to rinse out all of the Dawn before running them through your wash. Laundry soap just doesn't have the power needed to dissolve that much shortening and it will leave grease stains on your other laundry that will show up after they have been dried. the grease will look like a wet spot only after the dry it will have been heated into the fabric and will be harder to get out. Dawn is greases nemesis and it can get crude oil off baby penguins and birds and my own little munchkin who covered herself in Crisco one day...LOL

Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 12

Wow, I've never thought about that. I have a mesh bag hanging in my laundry room. I put all my dish towels (all I use are white ones) into it and when it's full I throw them in the washer with bleach and hot water and then into the dryer.

Grease covered shop towels and clothes of my husband's, I take to a laundramat.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 12

Hmmm ... never thought about any remaining grease catching on fire in the dryer. But then, my dryer doesn't get hot enough to DRY my clothes, let alone start a fire. icon_rolleyes.gif But I think from now on, I'll hang them to dry - and make sure DH knows to do this as well, since he often will toss a load of towels in the wash when I'm not home. thumbs_up.gif

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 12

So much to consider! Thanks to all for excellent answers and advice.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:55pm
post #11 of 12

ditto to what sadsmile said. Dawn! It's my laundry miracle worker, I use it like shout or spray and wash. Hot water in the sink with dawn first and rinse well, then into the laundry.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:35pm
post #12 of 12

My husband is a LICENSED PLUMBER and I wash all of mine in the washer and then dry them. I have never had a problem. They are all white so I wash with all the other whites and use bleach and warm water.

But do not put any grease down the sink drain, it will clog it up quick. If you ever have to though, make sure you use HOT water and lots of dish soap to dissolve the grease. I prefer Dawn also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%