Silicone Mat

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 5:54pm by TerriLynn

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 16

Where can I get a good silicone mat for rolling out fondant? I hate the mat I'm using now. It's plastic and slides all over my counter. I would like something big enough to roll out fondant for a 16-18" cake. The one on cakewheel.com looks great, but it doesn't have the dimensions and there's no phone number to contact the company.

Thanks.

15 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 16

Before you buy a silicone mat, go to Walmart or the fabric store and get a piece of thick clear vinyl and give it a try. I actually prefer it over my silicone mat, it's easier to clean and things stick to it a lot less.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 16

I have thought of doing that Texas rose, because I bought the wilton one... and UGH!!! It moves constantly not to mention wants to constantly roll up on me even though I have had it laid flat for almost 2 months now. Does the vinyl move around alot on the counter? Is there a way to keep that from happening?? Sorry to hijack you post... just a few questions

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 16

Tape it down. I have a large sheet of vinyl taped to the work table, with my Wilton Roll 'n Cut mat underneath.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 16

yeah...I like the roll n' cut because it measures.

If it slides....tape it!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:16am
post #6 of 16

Mine doesn't slide.

I keep meaning to find my Wilton mat and put it underneath.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:26am
post #7 of 16

I have a very large Roul-Pat that I really like.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:34am
post #8 of 16

DUH!!! Why had I not thought to tape it down... LOL!?!? It really was quite entertaining to watch me try and keep some heavier things on the corners (crisco, fondant I wasnt using, scissors... anything I could get my hand on at the time) while trying to roll a big piece out with the big roller. Thanx... you guys are the BEST!!!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:53am
post #9 of 16

I have the wilton mat too, and although it isn't great it works for now. I wet down my counter or table then set the mat down. The moisture keeps it down pretty well, no sliding or rolling.

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:55am
post #10 of 16

I took a fondant class at Sweet Wise in Nashville. They taught us to roll/press the fonadnt between two vinyl sheets from, I think, a fabric store. The sheets are about 36" square. When rolled, peel of one sheet and lay over the cake, peel the other off. I have the Wilton mat, I like the vinyl much better.

Re: silicone mats, I bought 12" x 15" mats from country kitchen sa. com for $10 each.

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:39am
post #11 of 16

These are all great suggestions. Thank you guys.

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:56pm
post #12 of 16

Debluvs2bake; Thanks for mentioning us (Sweet Wise in Nashville). The mat you mentioned is NOT from a fabric store. We got with a manufacturer and had them create the mat to our specifications. It has a specific surface polish to it that works perfectly with the consistency of the fondant icon_biggrin.gif

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:34pm
post #13 of 16

Would the vinyl be food safe????

donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:08pm
post #14 of 16

I use the wilton mat. My husband taped it to a large piece of masonite so I can store it standing up and have no more "wrinkles". When I roll out my fondant i just put a piece of non skid liner under it and it stays put. I like the idea of the clear vinyl for larger projects, I'm going to try it - thanks!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:48pm
post #15 of 16

Please remember that business CANNOT be conducted in the forums, please keep strictly to the topic. icon_smile.gif

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:54pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPACakeGirl

These are all great suggestions. Thank you guys.

Hi! I HIGHLY recommend "The Mat" from SweetWise in Nashville, TN. It is one of the most awesome cake tool ever. It makes rolling out fondant such a breeze! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%