All You Creative Folks Out There!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 1:01am by emiyeric

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a 12-year-old boy a birthday cake with a science-related theme. I looked at the cakes on CC, and while I love the beakers and flasks, I want to do something more for it. I was thinking I could make a bunsen burner (and even use it as a place for them to put their candle when it's lit, so they "light" the burner), but I'm hoping you guys can give me some more nice ideas for original science stuff. I'm thinking a periodic table is too advanced for him, but maybe bugs? I don't have a good idea for making a microscope (and honestly, if the beakers and flasks are going to be propped up on top of the cake, a microscope would probably be too large for it and wouldn't work so well). All suggestions very much appreciated!!!

4 replies
chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 5

How bout a molecule? You could google diagrams of molecules make the atoms from colored balls of fondant and connect them with colored pasta.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 5

A frog mid-dissection? Sounds gross, I know, by my nephews are that age and they LOVE gross stuff!

emiyeric Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! The molecule, I'm thinking, might be a really cool way to make a border on the cake ... very science-y! And I LOVE the idea of a dissected frog! See! I love this site! Keep'em coming ...

emiyeric Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:01am
post #5 of 5

Okay, done! I TOTALLY ran with the frog dissection idea - thanks so much for the great suggestions!! I had such a stinking blast with this cake icon_smile.gif. I still haven't figured out how to post it here successfully, but here's the link if you want to see the finished product ...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1517797

Sorry I can't do it as an attachment efficiently icon_sad.gif ... I need to get my hubby to teach me a thing or two icon_sad.gif ...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%