Reluctant Decorator - Advice Needed

Decorating By lepmer Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 1:05am by playingwithsugar

lepmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepmer Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 8

I do cakes for friends and family. I've been asked to do cakes for hire and so far have always said no. I work full time, have a family and don't know where I'd find time to bake let alone figure out the business side of it.

I've done one paying cake as a favor and have always discouraged others. I had someone who has seen my cakes call and ask to me to do a paying cake. It's for 100 people and would be in the shape of a mascot. I would appreciate any advice on where to start to calculate per serving and how big of a cake this would take. I'm still deciding if I have the time to do this and if I want to.

7 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 8

Simple answer for you, since you're my neighbour and I know what the regulations are in AB:

"I can't do it. It is illegal for me to bake without a licence, and I can only get a licence if I'm operating from a commercial kitchen, which I'm not. I don't want to break the law so I cannot make you a cake."

icon_biggrin.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tubbs

Simple answer for you, since you're my neighbour and I know what the regulations are in AB:

"I can't do it. It is illegal for me to bake without a licence, and I can only get a licence if I'm operating from a commercial kitchen, which I'm not. I don't want to break the law so I cannot make you a cake."

icon_biggrin.gif

Good answer

Mike

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 8

And on top of that, the mascot is likely a copyrighted image and you couldn't do that legally either.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 8

You might be able to find a commercial kitchen to use that is legal. If you really want to give this a whirl then do some digging around. Some churches or small newer bakeries would love to have the extra cash or if you can barter.

Anyway - your cakes must be DELISH to cause so many to request over and over. I admire that.

Good luck to you - Dizzy

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 8

But in case you decide to do one 'for a friend' start at about $800 or so.
$8 a serving sounds sweet to my ears for sculpting.

lepmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepmer Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:48am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the input. Nope not delish, most just figure they can't do it themselves and are looking for something unique. And they know I'm picky.

The commercial kitchen is something that has always been in the back of my mind. My Wilton teacher did cakes professionally and we had that conversation. I believe they hold the copyright to their mascot's image so that wouldn't apply, but I may be able to base my decision on the kitchen.

I was guesstimating $3 a serving for 100 people, so $300 and figured they'd freak at that anyway. Is that a completely unrealistic amount?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:05am
post #8 of 8

If you're reluctant, do not do the cake. How we feel always shows up in the quality of our work.

Also, since you do not normally sell cakes, you have to be especially cautious. There are a lot of people out there who like to take advantage of those who are not cake-business-savvy. Some try to negotiate supermarket bakery prices for custom work. Others try to cheat the inexperienced-in-business baker. They could call you a week later and tell you they didn't like the cake, or there was a problem with it, expecting a refund, while in truth, scarfed down the whole darn thing, then looking for more.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%