What Would You Make For An Awesome Christmas Basket?

Decorating By vagostino Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 2:33am by purplebutterfly1234

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 58

I was revisiting sugarshack's blog and she made an awesome christmas basket last year with lots of yummy and pretty stuff....

What would you make that gives you variety and flexibility as far as making stuff ahead of time.

I'm thinking:

Decorated sugar cookies
Chocolate covered pretzel rods
Chocolate covered oreos

And that's it....what else could I make that can me done ahead of time and will look pretty?

57 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 58

bag of cake balls? maybe they could look like christmas ornaments...

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 58

We make chocolate dipped spoons for coffee and hot cocoa, you just dip a plastic spoon into melted choclate then drizzle with diffrent color candy melts or sprinkles, individualy wrapped they are very nice, we also make chocolate dipped candy canes, there are even wilton candy molds for candy canes with diffrent christmas designs. A favorite of our customers are our choclate covered marshmallows, you put a lollypop stick into a marshmallow then dip into chocolate and then put into sprinkles, crushed gram crackers (they will taste like smores), crushed oreo cookies etc. We also dip pingles and baked potatoe chips in chcolate and white choclate.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 58

Last year I did
- assorted chocolate covered marshmallows (rolled in toasted coconut, toffee,chocolate sprinkles, crushed peppermint and pecans)
-chocolate dipped Pringles (sounds weird but super yummy!)
-Chocolate dipped Pretzles (the mini ones)
- Home made Peanut Butter cups
-Double Chocolate Chip mint cookies (made with DH dark chocolate fudge cake mix, tastes just like Great American Cookie Co. double fudge cookies)
-Iced gingerbread cookies
-Chocolate covered gummi worms, made to look like Chrismas wreaths

I kinda like chocolate..lol

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantedcakes

A favorite of our customers are our choclate covered marshmallows, you put a lollypop stick into a marshmallow then dip into chocolate and then put into sprinkles, crushed gram crackers (they will taste like smores), crushed oreo cookies etc.

Next time you do this, use pretzel sticks, and you have an total edible treat. icon_smile.gif

vagostino Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 58

great ideas!!!! keep it coming!

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 58

Hard candies in a multitude of colors and flavors. Cool mixture on a cookie sheet and break into pieces, no special molds required. I bag mine in printed cello bags. Also, homemade hot cocoa mix and Chex mix.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 58

Here's what's going in mine:

fruit cake
chocolate gingerbread
pumpkin poundcake

decorated sugar cookies
decorated gingerbread cookies

Danish Wedding cookies (aka snowballs, aka butter pecan balls)
Mexican Wedding cookies (these have pistachios and cherries in them)
Almond Crescents

Cream Cheese Cookies (my invention, see recipe in recipes section of forum)
Coconut Macaroons
Peanut Butter Blossoms
Honey Oatmeal cookies
Thumbprints (in apricot, blackberry, and raspberry)

Smores Bars
7-layer cookies

Pecan Tassies
Mini Mince Tarts

Chocolate Rum Balls
Chocolate Peanut Butter No-bakes
Homemade peppermint marshmallows
chocolate truffles: chocolate (w/ creme de cacao), mocha (with Kahlua), and orange (with Grand Marnier)

Chex Mix
Popcorn Balls

Maple Glazed Pecans
Spiced Nut Mix

vagostino Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 58

OH prterrell !!! I'm sending you me address in a PM !! icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debluvs2bake

Hard candies in a multitude of colors and flavors. Cool mixture on a cookie sheet and break into pieces, no special molds required. I bag mine in printed cello bags.

Oooh! What a great idea! I might try that out this year! thumbs_up.gif

Now I have an excuse to order some Lorann's! icon_biggrin.gif

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 58

Peppermint bark is always great and festive. Just crush up peppermint candies, mix with melted white chocolate or almond bark, spread on a cookie sheet to let cool and then break up into pieces. So simple and so yummy!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 58

Don't forget the rum balls!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #13 of 58

I make quite a few of the items already mentioned, I also add something that my Grandmother taught me to make years ago. We called them "church windows", so simple and will do a sweet tooth proud.

All you do is melt chocolate (most of the time I use choc. chips), and mix in the mini colored marshmallows. After you get it all mixed together, you roll it into a log in some foil. Let is set up in the fridge, then slice it in 1/4" slices, looks like stained glass in chocolate. icon_biggrin.gif

Pretty yummy too. Could use different chocolates I'm sure.

prterrell Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:44pm
post #14 of 58

Well, I just ordered me 8 flavors of Lorann's, 7 for candies and 1 to finally make pink champagne cake! I think this is what my sis will be getting for her birthday cake this year.

vagostino Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:48pm
post #15 of 58

How do you make pink champagne cake??

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:51pm
post #16 of 58

I love this thread! icon_biggrin.gif

vagostino Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:53pm
post #17 of 58

ohh maybe some biscotti dipped in colored chocolate or drizzled with green and red?

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:31pm
post #18 of 58

This is a great thread, for my baskets last year (some already mentioned)

Oreo Truffles (people have not stopped asking for these since!)
Homemade Peppermint Cocoa Mix
Peppermint Bark (easy & people love it)
Peanut Butter Fudge
Decorated cookies
Dipped Pretzel Rods
Assorted drop cookies

I also found these really cute plates and cups that said cookies/milk for santa and I put one of each in the baskets for families. Then for baskets for single people, I found these funny ones that had two reindeer and said "Your roof or mine?" made me laugh.

CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:45pm
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccordes

Peppermint bark is always great and festive. Just crush up peppermint candies, mix with melted white chocolate or almond bark, spread on a cookie sheet to let cool and then break up into pieces. So simple and so yummy!

My sister makes that every year but instead of pouring it on a cookie sheet she spoons it into the center of 2 mini candy canes that have been laid together to form a heart.
The bark holds them together and you get a pretty little red and white peppermint bark heart.
Super cute!

andpotts Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:49pm
post #20 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Quote:

My sister makes that every year but instead of pouring it on a cookie sheet she spoons it into the center of 2 mini candy canes that have been laid together to form a heart.
The bark holds them together and you get a pretty little red and white peppermint bark heart.
Super cute!

What a great idea, I have to try this! thumbs_up.gif Also I just saw your quote and it made me smile, now I have to add some Beck to my playlist.

vagostino Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #21 of 58
Quote:

Quote:

Super cute!

what a great idea!! Now a silly question...does she remove the candy canes or is all part of the candy piece?

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:12pm
post #22 of 58

I just made a trial batch of Oreo cookie truffles - YUMMY! I 've never made truffles before and just wanted to see how hard they were to make - not hard at all and my office is begging for more!

CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:13pm
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagostino

Quote:

Quote:

Super cute!

what a great idea!! Now a silly question...does she remove the candy canes or is all part of the candy piece?

It becomes one candy piece, let me see if I can find a pic, brb...

CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:17pm
post #24 of 58
MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:18pm
post #25 of 58

What's the recipe for oreo cookie truffles - they sound awesome!

Going to look in recipes to see if they are there...

andpotts Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:36pm
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoycake

What's the recipe for oreo cookie truffles - they sound awesome!

Going to look in recipes to see if they are there...

Here's the recipe I use and how I did them, I just posted this on the cookie board the other day. They are a must try, so easy and so good!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-658760.html

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:47pm
post #27 of 58

I love oreo truffles but I can't imagine using them in a gift basket. Don't they have to be refridgerated?
I do gift baskets every year for my husbands employees and immediate friends.
Traditionally it is

Homemade pralines (my mom helps me make these ...total nightmare sometimes)
Cranberry nut bread mini loaf
3 types of cookies
Russian tea cakes
Some Xmas coffee mug or hand towel.
Homemade peppermint marshmellows...I love making marshmellowsicon_smile.gif

This year though we're goingn to have to mix it up, I think people are probably tired of the same stuff. We do mix up what type of cookies we make each year. I'm thinking about including the Snickers Cupcakes I saw here on CC this year.

prterrell Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:34pm
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagostino

How do you make pink champagne cake??

Champagne cake recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Champagne-Cake-I/Detail.aspx

Sub pink champagne for the champagne in the recipe. Add 1/4 tsp (1/4 dram) Lorann's champagne flavor and a little pink food coloring.

This recipe was given to me by another CC-er but I cannot recall who. Thanks again for the recipe whomever it was! icon_biggrin.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:19pm
post #29 of 58

Last year I did...

Homemade Marshmallows
Chocolate Chip Reeses Cup Cookie Tarts
Rum Balls (MY FAV!)
Gingersnaps
Snickerdoodles
Fat Molasses Cookies
Pecan Shortbread cookies with white chocolate drizzle
Decorated Sugar cookies
Jello Sugar Cookie Poinsettias
Creme De Menthe cake balls
Homemade fudge (One batch was topped with crushed Peppermint Joe-Joes, One was plain chocolate, and one was topped with crushed toffee)
Peanut Butter Kisses cookies
Triple chocolate brownies
Nutella brownies

I packed random assortments into tins for those who I mailed them to, and the locals got their goodies in baskets and gift bags.

This year I'm not going to do nearly that much because I too much other stuff going on and will be traveling for the holidays. I still haven't made my final list. I'm thinking of focusing more on candy this year than cookies. I found a bunch of ancient candy cookbooks at a garage sale. One even has recipes for the real old-school kinds of fudge that don't use marshmallows or evaporated/condensed milk! I think that'd be fun to try icon_smile.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #30 of 58

Super quick & easy microwave peanut brittle. It's one of my faves to make.

You can also add cinnamon to it. Yum! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%