How To Find Reliable Help??

Business By Mike_Elder Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 4:48pm by sillywabbitz

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All.
My business is growing at a lightening speed and I will soon need to hire atleast one decorator. I do only the high end cakes and am trying to figure out how the heck to find someone not only GOOD but also willing to work hard! We're a very fortunate shop and get some awesome clients and the opportunities seem to never end, so I know we have alot to offer. Any suggestions?? above the obvious ones?
Thanks CC
Mike

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 6

Do you have a culinary school nearby?

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 6

That's always going to be a challenge icon_smile.gif

Put the word out to your local culinary network, cake network, and artist community. Make sure you have a list on requirements and expectations during the interview process. Maybe do a trial period as well to make sure the person is a good fit with you and the company.

You could also offer and internship for those in school and then screen candidates that way.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 6

and that's me that just followed you on twitter!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 6

When you figure this one out will you let me in on it...LOL! But seriously. You can get free help with interns from local culinary schools, however once their internship requirement is up, if you want to keep them on then you have to pay icon_smile.gif Sometimes it is better to get a student as they are then more likely to do things your way because they haven't already established a "routine" or bad habits.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 6

I know a local high end bakery here who posted a part time position on Craigs list. I was shocked but I think she got some talented people who applied that weren't necessarily professionally trained. Unless you need the person to be an actual pastery chef,I would look at culinary schools but also look outside.

I would also consider posting the job opening at your local cake supply store. You can specify the level of expertise you require but there you will find people who are truly passionate about the work and may be looking to get into more full time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%