Coloring Cake Batter Red.. Helllppppppppppp

Decorating By rc4642 Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 4:05pm by indydebi

rc4642 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rc4642 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 5

Helpppppppppppp!!! I have tried making my batter red for an order and the same recipe that usually comes out light and fluffy is coming out really dense. (thank God they are cupcakes) I am using Wilton Red (no taste) color.

4 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 5

For red, use the liquid food color in the spice/flavor section at the grocery store.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 5

For cake batter use regular food color like Jamie said and use the icing colors for, well... icings icon_wink.gif

rc4642 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rc4642 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 5

Duhhhhhhhhh..... Thanks so much!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 5

I'm not sure what the difference may be. I've used wilton red to color batter before and it worked out fine. I didn't notice any texture difference. I never use those liquid colors for anything anymore. Maybe you just had a bad batch of color or something.

Just a word of warning to anyone who colors cake batter. If you use whole eggs or real butter or use a recipe that gives you any kind of yellowing in your batter, remember that you'll probably have to add more than normal amount of coloring. Add red to yellow batter and you get orange; add blue to yellow batter and you get green. The Rules of PRimary Color Mixing will apply. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%