Idea's For A Man's 50Th??

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 2:16pm by Kay_NL

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 10

My daughter's teacher from last year called and needs a cake for this Sunday. Yes, I am a sucker for accepting at such late notice! The teacher has H1N1 and can't make her husband's 50th birthday cake and thought of me....

So, it needs to feed 25 people and she doesn't care about flavor, icing type, design, etc. Apparently he is just a "regular guy" who has no interests or hobbies, dislikes sports, tools, electronics, etc.

So, I'm seeking ideas for design! At this point all I can think to do is a brown cake with blue and black accents (perhaps squares stuck on instead of polka dots) and a 50 gum paste topper.

Thanks in advance!!!

9 replies
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 10

Since he's going to be 50, you could do an Old Age Survival Kit cake. I've done several and they are always a hit.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 10

"There goes 50 years down the drain." On a clogged toilet cake. icon_evil.gif But they would have to be the right kind of people to appreciate that kind of sarcastic humor.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 10

sadsmile, I love that cake. Just haven't had a chance to make it.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 10

I just did a barrel cake for my husband's 45th - he loved it! There are some variations in the galleries that are two-tiered that make the idea more impressive for a 50th. It's also very easy to make on short notice icon_smile.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 10

I like the idea of the barrel cake. Super impressive without a whole lot of stress. icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Kay_NL Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you for the input and ideas!! I did the cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1516571.html

Since she told me not to call her (as he knows who I am from my donations to the school auction) I couldn't inquire as to whether a funny cake would be okay or if a candy covered cake would be okay either... I thought the design I chose would be safe and tasteful for what was requested of me!! icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:46am
post #8 of 10

Very nice!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 11:44am
post #9 of 10

My standard older man cake is a gumpaste figure (with the right hair, glasses, etc) in an armchair with a cup of tea and then happy 50th ...... etc writen on it. if they hav a couple of hobbies then il put gardening equipment, pets, a newspaper with their football team as a headline, etc but generally the figure itself goes down really well. I've done a variation of this 4 or 5 times now and its really popular.

Kay_NL Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Cathy!! I wouldn't have had time to do that for this particular cake since I couldn't start until Friday for a Saturday pick up! icon_smile.gif Great idea for future well-planned orders though!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%