Homemade Vs. Doctored Box Cake

Decorating By Tika35 Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm by chelleb1974

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:32am
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

I like me some WASC.

I was thinking the other night...has anyone ever had IMBC from a restaurant? I don't think I've ever come across it.

And do you think it could be mass-produced for restaurant use? icon_confused.gif I'd be interested in finding out if anywhere does it.

The cupcake shop I know mass produces their IMBC. How she is able to charge so little is beyond me, but they are sold out EVERYDAY!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:03pm
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

I like me some WASC.

I was thinking the other night...has anyone ever had IMBC from a restaurant? I don't think I've ever come across it.

And do you think it could be mass-produced for restaurant use? icon_confused.gif I'd be interested in finding out if anywhere does it.

The cupcake shop I know mass produces their IMBC. How she is able to charge so little is beyond me, but they are sold out EVERYDAY!

Really? We have a few well-known bakeries in town, a couple of really good ones, and I've never ever seen IMBC in them. I went to a baby shower the other week at a nice restaurant and they brought in cupcakes from a very chic, high-end bakery....and they had regular icing on them. I was surprised. If I ever find it in my town (Cincinnati) I will have to let everyone know.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:11pm
post #33 of 45

Yup. My mouth dropped open and eyes bugged out as well. There are two places and one does everything and I mean EVERYTHING from scratch. IMBC, real strawberries, real ganache, real cake batter. When she first opened the local wholesaler approached her about buying cake mix with the sell line of "All the bakery storefronts get their mix from me" and a big 'ol grin. She said no thanks. She said she was surprised by that as well. The other cupcake shop does have regular icing and the standard mix cupcake. They do pretty good business too, but don't sell out. Like I said, still wonder about the profit margin as she only charges $2.95 per cupcake, but I know she could and probably should be charging way more.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

When I was growing up, a "homemade" anything was something made by mom as opposed to buying it already made at the grocery.

So when mom tore open that box of Duncan Hines, added her 3 eggs, water and oil, poured it in a pan and baked it, then we had homemade cake.

If it tastes good, who cares how it got there? icon_confused.gif

I agree we need a disclaimer on the front page on this topic.

OMG this reminded me of something. Every Easter my Mom (who was 100% Portuguese) would spend Holy Week mixing up 25lbs of Portuguese Sweet Bread....mix it day 1 and let it rise....day 2 put 1lb of dough in each of 25 round bread pans to rise again.....day 3 (Good Friday) we'd wake up to the smell of fresh Portuguese Sweet bread baking in the oven....it was our breakfast. (she'd been up all night baking it in 2 ovens)

One of my sister's boyfriends at the time walked in the house and sat down to a hot slice with butter. He turned to my Mom and said Mrs. XXX this is "just as good as store bought".

I thought my Mom was going to kill him right there on Good Friday morning.....being the "holy" woman that she was she didn't, BUT he was NEVER my Mom's favorite BF.

Moral of the story, he was raised on "store bought" and in his mind "homemade" had to live up to that standard. Thankfully my sister didn't marry that one. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry to go off topic, but when you mentioned your Mom and "homemade" it reminded me of this.

Carry on..............

LOLOL I work at one of the top bread bakeries in the country. It takes three days to make a loaf of bread. This afternoon I'll go to Sam's to get some gummy bread just like everyone else LOLOL.

Mike

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm
post #35 of 45

and as someone else said "GOOD CAKE IS GOOD CAKE" period. end of story!

boxed

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:45pm
post #36 of 45

I personally use both. My biggest favorite is DH dark chocolate though (with a little doctoring). I just replace 1/4 cup of the water with 1/4 cup H chocolate syrup. Not a lot of doctoring, but everyone raves. And once again, we come to that "personal preference" thing again. What I believe is good, someone else may think is total crap. Let's just all agree to disagree shall we.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:01am
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

LOLOL I work at one of the top bread bakeries in the country. It takes three days to make a loaf of bread. This afternoon I'll go to Sam's to get some gummy bread just like everyone else LOLOL.Mike

You're bad Mike, you don't even make your own bread? hahaha.....but I have to admit when my Mom passed away I thought it would be nice to carry on her Sweetbread tradition.

I did it ONCE and that was enough. I really don't know how she did it all of those years, AND with 8 or us kids underfoot and she mixed everything by hand in a HUGE stainless bowl.

Oh well, some traditions are meant to be laid to rest....lol!

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:36am
post #38 of 45

I bake for my son's restaurant and almost all of my cakes are iced with IMBC and that's why people rave about them. Any requests that I get to make cakes are with the 'real thing' for frosting. I use box (doctored) if I'm in a hurry and scratch when I'm not. I love to try different recipes, so they usually are scratch and the only one that knows the difference is my husband. He is the great cake taster and tester for me, and his increase in poundage tells all! Sometimes one or the other comes out great and sometimes not so. So the moral of the story is- whatever floats your boat at the time place and circumstance!

Colleen

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:52am
post #39 of 45

Oh my we have managed to make it into an art form!
icon_confused.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:43am
post #40 of 45

I wonder why this subject is a dead horse, who was perhaps beaten to death as per Sadsmile's cartoon, but asking how big to make the cake or how much to charge is just fine, no worries. We patiently answer time after time after time.

Nobody's on those threads huffin & puffin & creating drama. 'We just answered that question yesterday what's a matter w/you'.

Make it any size/price you want--if your customer is happy what's the difference we might say if we were perterbed.

Interesting~makes yah wonder if there's something psychological to it.

icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:49am
post #41 of 45

sadsmile, can you reduce the size of your pic? It's causing the newer posts to overrun the screen.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 4:04am
post #42 of 45

I don't think any is better than the other. I have only lived in the U.S for six years so I am not used to baking with cake mixes and have always felt more comfortable baking from scratch (because it is all I know). But I was just thinking the other day that it is probably easier to have a better turnout with a cake mix since everything is measured perfectly. It is mainly the dry ingredients that (in scratch baking) can mess up the result. I am planning on getting a scale to measure my flour by weight to get a more accurate recipe. That's the only difference I can think of...

sadsmile Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm
post #43 of 45

If I could still edit it I would-sorry. Unless a mod can delete it. That's what I get for tryin to be funny icon_redface.gif

sadsmile Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm
post #44 of 45

Hey maybe if you report it a Mod will delete it. I don't have a report button on it -probably because it is my own post. I guess you can't rat on yourself. icon_lol.gif Sorry it is causing that issue with the screen guys!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceConfections

There should be a disclaimer on the front page of Cake Central about box v scratch, and below that, links to the grillions of threads on the subject. icon_lol.gif

I think this is a fantabulous idea! I have to say thought, I'm impressed this discussion didn't devolve into what some of the other scratch/box ones have - wtg CC! icon_smile.gif

and for the record, I use doctored box mix for most cakes, and undoctored pound cake mix for carving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%