Black Buttercream On A White Buttercream Cake

Decorating By Liana Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm by khoudek

Liana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liana Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:07am
post #1 of 6

I'm planning on making a cake frosted in white buttercream with black buttercream decorations. I'm afraid the color from the black is going to stain the white or leak into the white. Does that ever happen? Would refrigerating it help it, or hurt it, or make any difference in helping the black not leak onto the white?

5 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:20am
post #2 of 6

I'm pretty new at this, but just from my personal experience putting it into the refrigerator then taking it out will probably make the colors bleed into each other. If nothing needs refrigeration (the fillings or frosting) I would leave it out. If you have time maybe a trial run? Test both in and out of the fridge. Good luck!!

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:35am
post #3 of 6

This is just something I've tried with dark colors on white, I put a good heaping spoonful of meringue powder. It makes the buttercream crust quickly to avoid the dark color from bleeding onto the rest of the cake. You might want to give this a practice run.

donkeemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donkeemom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:56am
post #4 of 6

I use a crusting buttercream and have never had a problem with dark color bleeding onto white.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:22am
post #5 of 6

I've always used IMBC, which doesn't crust, so maybe that's what my problem was.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 6

As others have said a crusting buttercream will help solve the problem. I've also found for me, that letting the cake icing crust before starting to pipe helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%