Need A Tutorial On Making A Ruffled Tulip Or Any Tulip!!

Decorating By tarascupcakes Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 2:51am by caseyhayes

tarascupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarascupcakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:04am
post #1 of 15

I have tried looking and attempting to make this flower for a Twilight cake I have due tomorrow. I couldn't figure it out and usually I can figure things out since I'm mostly self-taught and then I went ALL OVER town trying to find an artificial flower like this one and NEVER found one. There are just poinsettas everywhere! Anyone have a easy tip or know where I can find a tutorial? I have a bunch of the petals already dried with very thin wires in them although they can be pulled out easily. So frustrating! I don't have a cel board or anything like that. HELP!!??
LL
LL

14 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 15

Here are some awesome instructions on how to make some tulips.

http://dianesdecoratingdiary.blogspot.com/2009/01/gumpaste-tulip-tutorial.html

The only thing that I can think to do for the feathered look - would be to go back and cut each petal with an exacto knife. Good luck!

DianeM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeM Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 15

To make the tulip petals ruffled, really tool them well, being careful not to shred them. Practice on some thinly rolled out gumpaste before you do it on one of your petals. You may need to use a hard surface and frill, or it may work on a tooling mat. It depends a lot on what your gumpaste is like. Good luck.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 15

You need a foam pad and a ball tool( back of small spoon) to thin the edges. Then roll a toothpick over the edges to frill the edges. Keep one end of the toothpick pointed at the center vein of the petal while frilling.

cylstrial Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 15

The toothpick is a good idea, Sadsmile!

tarascupcakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 15

Oh my gosh! I love that tutorial! Thank you sooo much! This is the problem I'm having though and since the cake is due in 7 hours, there's no time, but I would love some feedback for future reference. I think I made my flower petals on too thin of a gauge of wire, but even when I double it up, the wire won't hold up the petal, so when I go to tape it with the floral tape to the stamen and its wire, the wire just breaks through the petal. I made my petals pretty thin, but maybe they could be thinner.

sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 15

It needs to be thick enough to thread the wire into and then pressed thinner at the edges and then go over the edges with a ball tool or the back of a smooth spoon to make the edges almost paper thin. It is an illusion. By making the very edges of the petal super thin it gives the appearance of the whole petal being thin.

sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 15

In the future give yourself more time and make the flowers days in advance. thumbs_up.gif

tarascupcakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

In the future give yourself more time and make the flowers days in advance. thumbs_up.gif

Thank you for the tip!
I researched doing them and found a small tutorial about a week ago and dried everything then. But it wasn't until 2 days ago when I went to put them together, that I encountered the issue. Then I thought, oh well, I'll just go get an artificial flower since the customer said they didn't care if it was edible or not (that was just me overachieving). Anyway, I will practice more now BEFORE an order actually needs it. I just really wanted edible ones!!

sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 15

You are welcome!

Useless facts about tulips.... Because I can't resist.
Tulips were once a currency for the Dutch and caused a war. Imagine a war over flowers. The highly prized white tulip with splashes of red was the object of extreme wealth and royalty. The highest priced tulip sold for a small fortune-enough to buy a modest mansion in those times. The tulip-mania was born and a the frenzy ensued much like our real estate bubble of today. It burst and many went bankrupt over flower bulbs.

Ironically it is a disease that causes the variegated color so the monetary war was over sick flowers. How silly is that!

OK back to our regularly scheduled programing...

DianeM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeM Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 15

Glad you liked my tutorial. I'll try to add a bit about parrott tulips. It's true about leaving the paste thick enough at the bottom of the petal to push the wire into. There is a lot of manhandling of the petals when you tape them up, so the base needs to be strong.
Diane

cylstrial Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 11:42am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM

Glad you liked my tutorial. I'll try to add a bit about parrott tulips. It's true about leaving the paste thick enough at the bottom of the petal to push the wire into. There is a lot of manhandling of the petals when you tape them up, so the base needs to be strong.
Diane

Wow Diane! I didn't realize that it was your tutorial. Thanks for posting it on your on your blog! It was great!

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:10am
post #13 of 15

Thank you!!

tarascupcakes Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:38am
post #14 of 15

I ended up using an artificial flower (rose I think) I found from the dollar store. I did the design the customer asked me to do. I went to deliver the cake Friday night and no one was home and she wasn't returning my emails or phone calls. She called this evening with some tired excuses and says she still wants the cake and wants to pay with a post-dated check!! Uh, NO! Anyway, I found another buyer through my local Mommy netowrk, Triadmommies. She getting it tomorrow for a discounted price of $30. At least I won't lose money in my supplies. I will be requiring deposits for all transactions now. Previously, it was for orders over $100 only.
Thanks again everyone. I will be working on the edible flowers for next time.
LL

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:51am
post #15 of 15

Oh wow sorry this happened to you. People can be so irresponsible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%