Get The Cake Out Of The Tin?

Decorating By mcaulir Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 5:44am by mcaulir

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:07am
post #1 of 9

Stupid question, I know.

If I have a tin with 3" sides and only 1 1/2" of cake in a 10" tin, how do I get it out without breaking it? The last one broke into lots of pieces.

I usually get them out while hot, wrap and freeze. Maybe I need to wait until it cools more?

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 9

I let them cool ten minutes, then put a cooling grid on top of the pan and flip the whole thing over so the cake ends up on the grid, lift the pan off, then put another grid on the other side and flip it over so the dome won't make the bottom of the cake crack.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:30am
post #3 of 9

Did you use parchment or wax paper? I can't even imagine baking without parchment. Then you just have to run a knife around the edge and flip it over onto a rack/board.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:33am
post #4 of 9

me neither i love parchment paper and i crisco the sides,

mcaulir Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:06am
post #5 of 9

Yep, paper on the bottom, baking spray sides. Sticking isn't the problem. This time, flipping over such a wide, thin layer of cake made it fall to pieces from the bottom of the tin to the cooling rack. I've never had the same problem with smaller tins.

Just wondering of anyone had a trick to get out a thin layer with a large diameter from a high sided tin.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:10am
post #6 of 9

Put a cake circle same size as cake into pan so it is resting on the cake. Holding the cake circle w/ one hand, turn over the pan, so that the cake is being turned out directly onto the cake circle. Then place cooling rack on cake and flip back over and remove the cake circle.

Flintstone691961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flintstone691961 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:14am
post #7 of 9

when using parchment paper do you just spray the sides or the bottom as well.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:17am
post #8 of 9

You want to spray the whole pan (sides and bottom), lay the paper on the bottom and spray the paper too. The spray in between the paper and the pan helps to hold the paper in place.

mcaulir Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:44am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Put a cake circle same size as cake into pan so it is resting on the cake. Holding the cake circle w/ one hand, turn over the pan, so that the cake is being turned out directly onto the cake circle. Then place cooling rack on cake and flip back over and remove the cake circle.

It worked! Thanks all for suggestions. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%