Wilton Snow White Buttercream Slid Off Of Cake!

Decorating By SweetPaulieGirl Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm by SweetPaulieGirl

SweetPaulieGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPaulieGirl Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 5

I made Wilton Snow White Buttercream exactly as directed, allowed the cake to cool and settle overnight, kept it in a cool room and when I got up this morning the frosting on the sides of the cake and the border around the top had slid down the sides of the cake! I repaired the damage and it has continued to head south all day! The weather here is cool and dry today. I have used that recipe a hundred times and have never encountered this problem! The client this time is a good friend and is happy with the cake regardless but I sure don't want this situation again. What happened? If you can provide any insight, it will be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 5

Many decorators have had this problem when they make a decorators buttercream using shortening that doesn't have trans-fats in it. If you used Crisco, it no longer has trans-fats.

You can pretty much avoid the problem by using hi-ratio shortening, or finding an off brand that lists trans fats on the label.

HTH
Rae

manderson19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderson19 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 5

I have heard of people having problems with the trans-fat free shortening. My husband also bought a vegitable/animal fat mix by mistake once, and I used it without even looking at the label. The frosting is very greasy and didn't hold up at all! My flowers all just kind of flattened out and melted! Hate that stuff.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, absolutely NEVER use lard in buttercream icing.

Rae

SweetPaulieGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPaulieGirl Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 5

Where do you buy Hi-Ratio Shortening? I am in rural NC so my options are limited to say the least!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%