Red Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By JenniferSue Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 5:33am by Texas_Rose

JenniferSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferSue Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 14

I am looking to make red gumpaste roses for a wedding cake. I have been advised to use red petal dust mixed w/ vodka to paint the flowers, but am having trouble getting into all the corners and small areas. What would you advise for getting the best red gumpaste? If you paint the flower, how do you make sure you get as uniform a look as possible?

13 replies
AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 14

I always start with red gumpaste. The painting afterwards is simply to add details and depth. If you start with red gumpaste, and then paint the highlights, it will look more realistic. And you don't want the petals to all be uniform. Nature doesn't work that way!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 14

I'm no expert on flowers but when I do them I color my gumpaste first and then dust it with color after they are dry. That way it's already the base color I need and any additional color I use is just detail.

chloe_52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe_52 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 14

I would color my gumpaste red, assemble my flowers and then dry brush on the red petal dust and then use a steamer to set the color.

JenniferSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferSue Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 14

Would you use paste color to make a red? I'm afraid that the amount of paste needed to get a red color would really alter the consistency and make it too soft to form the flowers.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 14

I use gel colors to make the gumpaste red. It dries a deep pink and then I paint the dried flowers with gel color mixed with vodka.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1459128

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 14

I've never tried this with gumpaste, but I make a very nice red shade of fondant by melting the red chocolate melts and combining them with corn syrup. If I need a deeper red color, I mix in a little Americolor and then I let it sit on wax paper for several hours until it hardens. I then need it into to my fondant. The red is great!!! I'm not sure if this will work with gumpaste. It does work with a fondant/gumpaste mix.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 14

I bought red gumpaste from globalsugarart and dusted them with a darker red petal dust. The picture of the cake is in my photos.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:28am
post #9 of 14

i use red satin ice and add tylose for a gumpaste consistency then i dust with a darker red. I use crystal colors from www.sugarpaste.com color red velvet

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:40am
post #10 of 14

I use Tylose gumpaste and Chefmasters super red. Works like a charm.\\
The photo below was for a fast tutorial I posted and I had some red gumpaste and used it..It didn't get sticky. Worked wonderful.
Edna icon_smile.gif
LL

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:16am
post #11 of 14

I'm happy this topic came up. I am making Wilton fondant roses for my class right now and my red roses turned to a more pale colour when dried. Since I want a very deep shade of red I painted them today with gel colour (Americolor super red) and vodka but they still look wet after 8 hours - is this normal or did I use too much gel colour?

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:18am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I'm happy this topic came up. I am making Wilton fondant roses for my class right now and my red roses turned to a more pale colour when dried. Since I want a very deep shade of red I painted them today with gel colour (Americolor super red) and vodka but they still look wet after 8 hours - is this normal or did I use too much gel colour?

It will leave a shine. It's good that you diluted it with vodka, I painted some with undiluted Super Red and they turned the color of dried blood by the next day when they had dried fully.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:19am
post #13 of 14

Will they look really unnatural on the cake?

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:33am
post #14 of 14

No, they'll be fine. These were shiny when I painted them, by the next day the shine was almost gone and the color remained:

A little shine looks nice on flowers anyhow icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%