Anybody Not Gaining Weight?!!

Lounge By Jan14grands Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 2:02pm by Lita829

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 54

I was going to ask it the other way - anybody gaining weight - but thought this was more appropriate icon_smile.gif I can't stand it........makes me want to quit icon_smile.gif Seriously

53 replies
UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 54

I'm not.... but I workout regularly too. Don't quit decorating cakes.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 54

Dont quit because of this. find something you like to munch on (gum, baby carrots) and keep your mouth busy so you wont eat cake scraps, and give away any cakes you make for practice. I have finally learned how to not eat what I bake (most of the time anyway) and I started working out @ months ago, so I stopped gaining. Lets see how far it takes me... Good luck with the struggle!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 54

Nope, not me! I'm not not gaining weight! icon_smile.gif I'm worried about it, too. I've gained 20 lbs. in just the last few months. *sigh* I really love to bake, though. I think I do really need to start exercising a LOT.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 54

Believe it or not, I stopped gaining weight when I limited my sugar grams to 15 gms a day and switched all my carbs to whole grains and green vegies. I've been able to lose a few doing that. Of course, I have to do a lot of label reading in the stores and I use calorieking.com to check stuff that's not labeled. I am also training to racewalk a 1/2 marathon in March. It takes work to keep from gaining weight, and even more to lose it - I have to lose about 60 lbs - so be assured I am not one of those with only 5 to 10 lbs to lose, in addition to that, I am going through menopause. You have to give yourself time to be healthy.

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 54

I hear ya! I've been considering wearing some sort of surgical mask to stop my compulsive "tasting" while I bake. I do like the gum idea though. It would look a little less crazy.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 54

it's hard for me to gain weight when i'm doing cakes, in fact, the days when i'm busy baking & decorating, it's easy to lose a pound or two.

reason being, after baking so many cakes, i just get turned off looking at them (to eat), and the days when i'm baking for orders, i'm so busy that i hardly have time to eat or snack and rest, hence the pounds melt.

i don't work out regularly, but i do have two active kids that i need to chase after, and the house chores also keeps me going.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 54

Hell no. I'm big as a frickin' house and getting bigger. I was already plush, spent 11 weeks on the sofa due to surgery earlier this year, still limited in what I can do physically, then decided after just sporadic once-every-year-or-so cake decorating to get back into it full swing! No scraps or mistakes go wasted here. I love sugar so much that if I can't get it any other way, I'll eat it out of a bag with a spoon! Geez-O-Pete...

Then there's that evil wench Sugarshack Sharon, with her hi-ratio (trans-fat) shortening Buttercream, which must be made up in bathtub sized batches...

...and don't forget that other bad influence, Michele Foster, whose fondant tastes so dang good I eat the leftovers like apples.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 54

I think that's why I like cakes unstead of cookies! When I make a cake there's nothing left over to me to eat. I can't really cut into a cake to eat some of it. But cookies, WOW. I also love cookies! Real easy to eat one or two, or more.

I have a friend that drinks a beer when making Christmas cookies. Beer and cookies (sweet stuff) don't really mix. lol I don't think that's a real good idea to drink while baking during the day, icon_surprised.gif but I thought I'd thow it out there.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 54

Oh, I totally would be except I'm nursing a baby. When I first started doing cakes I put on 10lbs really fast. That was a while ago and I had to work really hard to lose it. But right now I'm eating whatever I want because I can! I'm terrified of the eating habits I'm developing because she won't need to nurse forever. Then I'll have to stop eating the majority of what I'm eating. *sigh*

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 54

I chew Doublemint gum while caking. Something to do with the minty taste to me just tastes yucky with sweet sugar tasting stuff. The challenge is making sure to put that stick of gum in my mouth in the first place.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:20pm
post #12 of 54

I'm not, But I Throw away the scraps as soon as I level the cakes so I'm not tempted. Same with frosting....I put the bowl and spatulas in the sink full of soapy water so I can't eat it!

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 54

I lost 35 pounds on LA Weight Loss 7 years ago and managed to keep it off for 4 years UNIT I STARTED DECORATING CAKES. I gained it all back! No I'm back at LAWL but I'm 7 years older and also 2 years post hysterectomy. Its not coming off as easy this time. I'm working out ever day though and determined to get this extra weight off. The good thing is that once you fight thru the sugar withdrawal its not too bad to resist it.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 54

Oh, I'm gaining LOTS of weight, but I'm pregnant icon_smile.gif

While not pregnant, getting up and going to the gym first thing in the morning was the best way for me to keep at my ideal weight. That two hours of blood sweat and tears every morning would keep me focused the rest of the day. After all, why would I torture myself for some cake I didnt really WANT?!!? It's not that I dont think my cake tastes great, it's just that I was only eating it because it was there.

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #15 of 54

So far, so good. I've been able to maintain. However, I am a triathlete but only so I can eat what I want! icon_lol.gif Just so there is no confusion, these are wimpy, girly, sprint triathlons, not Ironman or anything crazy like that, and it generally takes me at least a couple of hours to finish. It's a means to an end. icon_biggrin.gif

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:55pm
post #16 of 54

there are no wimpy triathlons! that is awesome!
Coming from me that I can't go up the hill without panting!
you go girl!

Jan14grands Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:59pm
post #17 of 54

Glad I'm not the only one struggling LOL icon_smile.gif I will try chewing gum - I already throw away scraps and soak the bowl immediately. I love cake and cookies icon_smile.gif Got to do something or I'll keep on gaining at my age and believe me getting older makes it harder to take off!!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:01pm
post #18 of 54

Heck, I can't even get into my support-top pantyhose without panting - and breaking a sweat! (Yes, women who work in small-town banks still wear pantyhose... stupid dresscode...)

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:37pm
post #19 of 54

It's a constant battle for me and has been for many years - caking does not help IYKWIM....
But today I had only veggies for lunch so I can share some cake scraps with DH tonight.....
I've lost 20 kg during the last 2 years and really need to drop a few more - but I'll start fesh after christmas and head for Beach 2010

Jan14grands Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:40pm
post #20 of 54

That's me too - AFTER Christmas, I will get back on track!! It's too hard this time of year, but I definitely will try to eat healthier anyway at this time. HAPPY BAKING icon_smile.gif

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:11pm
post #21 of 54

And I don't know about everyone else, but for me it becomes a more difficult battle with every decade I age. When I turned 50 it was as if I was instantly 5 pounds heavier. Talk about sneaking up on you!!

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:50pm
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoudek

And I don't know about everyone else, but for me it becomes a more difficult battle with every decade I age. When I turned 50 it was as if I was instantly 5 pounds heavier. Talk about sneaking up on you!!

Boy, isn't that the truth! I always thought it was in people's heads, until it happened to me!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm
post #23 of 54

I can't say doing cakes made me gain weight because I was always on the heavier side. I've actually lost some weight and still enjoy doing cakes, so it can be done.

If anyone wants any support in lossing weight, be sure to check out the Chunky Monkey thread in the Lounge. icon_smile.gif

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:30pm
post #24 of 54

I am 61 years old and a size 2-4. I also have ADHD and an anxiety disorder that make me burn calories like crazy. I also don't eat alot of what I bake. Just one of whatever is enough. I walk several miles a week with my 13 year old dog.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:53pm
post #25 of 54

I've gained about 10 pounds in the last 5 months - I had been nursing my 2nd daughter before then, and could eat whatever I wanted....but kept eating whatever I wanted after stopping nursing. That, in combination with not exercising (other than chasing the kids around) and suddenly my pants didn't fit anymore! I've stopped eating the scraps and extra cake/icing, and started going to the gym...hopefully I'll see some results soon!

megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #26 of 54

On a side note.... has anyone ever tried to bake with protien shake mix? I am in the middle of a diet and it is really protien heavy. I have been staring at my mix thinking how much better it would be if I could make it taste like cake! ....These are the crazy ideas I have when starved of baked goods.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

getting up and going to the gym first thing in the morning was the best way for me to keep at my ideal weight. That two hours of blood sweat and tears every morning would keep me focused the rest of the day.

I'm with ya, sista!!! That's the best "diet" ever! thumbs_up.gif

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:14pm
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightydragon663

So far, so good. I've been able to maintain. However, I am a triathlete but only so I can eat what I want! icon_lol.gif Just so there is no confusion, these are wimpy, girly, sprint triathlons, not Ironman or anything crazy like that, and it generally takes me at least a couple of hours to finish. It's a means to an end. icon_biggrin.gif

Me to!!!! Well, I only do the swimming part of the triathlon, my friend (who is the real athlete) does the biking and running. Never the less I'm back to swimming 1/2 mile a day a lunchtime. I stopped for awhile and it was kind of hard to start up again, but now that I'm back in the pool - I love it. The thing I hate about exercising is sweating - no problem with that in the pool!
My triathlon teammate is trying to get me to do a real triathlon in a mountain lake this summer where wetsuits are mandatory - I'm not so sure about this one icon_redface.gif

Lalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalady Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:46pm
post #29 of 54

Well, I've always had a weight problem and baking didn't help. I started Weight Watchers last October and I've lost 71 pounds so far. No, I didn't give up baking. I allow myself 2-3 bites of scraps, then in the trash it goes. I also keep the kitchen sink full of hot soapy water for the dirty bowls & utensils.

VelmaMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VelmaMoore Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:30pm
post #30 of 54

I havent gained any weight but hubby has, lol, I went to work in a bakery in july and have lost 25 pounds since then. I noticed that I no longer can stand donuts and am seldom still for longer than 5 minutes at a time. Plus I have hubbies buddies at work to eat all my cakes the day after they are done hence forth removing the temptation from the house. If not for his job I would have to contact a local church or other organization or friends to help me out of the situation. Lucky me I have cake devouring volunteers. lol thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%