Honest Thoughts - Am I Good Enough?

Decorating By halleyec Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 12:41pm by cylstrial

halleyec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halleyec Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:21am
post #1 of 17

If any of you dont mind, I was hoping you could take a look at my pictures (I dont know how to post them on here, so they are in my photos).
Im really interested in seeing what other people think, if they think Im good enough.

Thank you very much. Im open to all tips and ideas from anyone. Ive learned a lot from CC and my own research, but I know theres still so much more.

Thanks Again,

Halley

16 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:37am
post #2 of 17

Halley, I guess the question is "good enough for what?"
You have made some beautiful cakes and cupcakes and obviously have a lot of talent and skills. You have a lot to be proud of.

If you're asking are you good enough to go into business I would suggest looking into the business side of things thoroughly. I'm currently doing a night class on running a small business and it is giving me invaluable information which I wouldn't otherwise know. Your success as a business will depend on a lot more than your cake skills

HTH

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:32am
post #3 of 17

I would also like to know...good enough for what? Your work is nice. Why are you asking?

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:03am
post #4 of 17

I am not sure what you want to be good enough for, but your cakes look great! You have a lot of talent and I am sure you can achieve whatever you set your mind too! Good Luck!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:07am
post #5 of 17

FIshing for compliments much, lol only joking really, your cakes are lovley and it is nice to be told that once in while icon_biggrin.gif

good enough. .depends what you want to be good enough for icon_biggrin.gif but you certainly are good and have a good talent

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 17

I have a reputation for being that friend that will tell you your butt looks fat if you ask. That being said - I think your cakes are really beautiful! No, they aren't flawless but they are really good. I think you're good enough for whatever you want to do. Open a business, sell cakes on the side.... dream big because you DO have talent.

halleyec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halleyec Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:39am
post #7 of 17

Thanks for your comments, Guess i should have explained myself better.

I have always made cakes for my family and close friends but now more and more people are asking me to do cakes for them.

After completeing each cake i am never really happy with the final product, which is why i was asking are they good enough. I am just wanting to do a little cake business on the side but want to have a great final product. Just hoping with practice and time as well as the great advice provided on here that i will improve.

Cheers

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:50am
post #8 of 17

I think you are good enough to open a business, best of luck

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:06am
post #9 of 17

Charli's 1 cake: The edges are nice and sharp; the choc circles are placed in a nice, balanced pattern; the icing needs some smoothing. Take a look at The Melvira Method (in the articles). Ever since I discovered this method, I wont' do a cake without it!! I think this cake might be an exception because your other cakes I looked at were pretty good in the smooth-iced category! thumbs_up.gif

Levi's Dinosaur cake is awesome! A flawless execution!

The blue striped christening cake is very good. Stripes are uniform and the spacing between them is perfect. The plaque is very well centered.

I couldn't stop smiling at your monkey face cake!

Butterfly cake is so cute! Icing is very smooth. The only thing I might suggest, and it's strictly personal preference ... your cake is great just the way it is .... would be to give the flat flowers some lift by letting them dry on some kind of flower former, so the petals are 'lifted' a bit. Just adds some dimension.

Gary & Natlie's 40th birthday cake is really good. you did a good job smoothing the icing; nice sharp edges; the 2-colored ribbon adds so much dimension to the cake. The wired decors are well done.

I just love the blue swirl dot cake!! What a unique idea! The handful of silver dragees are a great accent. Adding this one to my faves.

I think you have whatever "it" is that you're looking for. Keep going .... you are definitely on your way! thumbs_up.gif

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:13am
post #10 of 17

Not that I'm an expert............I think you are definitely good enough to sell to people. You pay attention to small details and that is so very important. Like putting your cake on a suitable board, smoothing things, etc...... I feel the same with most of my cakes too--- that it's not quite just the way I wanted, that I wish I'd done something differently. I think it goes with the territory. icon_smile.gif Best wishes!

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:16am
post #11 of 17

Not that I'm an expert............I think you are definitely good enough to sell to people. You pay attention to small details and that is so very important. Like putting your cake on a suitable board, smoothing things, etc...... I feel the same with most of my cakes too--- that it's not quite just the way I wanted, that I wish I'd done something differently. I think it goes with the territory. icon_smile.gif Best wishes!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:18am
post #12 of 17

I so love the fact that you want to make sure your cakes are sell worthy and after looking at your work thumbs_up.gif. That dinosaur is just so cute!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:21am
post #13 of 17

Indydebi, I want so much to use the melvira method more often, but I cannot find a roller wide enough. The only wide rollers are the furry ones.

Sandy

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:23am
post #14 of 17

I just use a 4" one. You have to use a really lite touch when doing the surface of a sheet cake, but it works. I want to find a 6" one, though.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:25am
post #15 of 17

You're definitely good enough (that dinosaur is just too cute for wordsicon_smile.gif) and I totally understand where your question is coming from. You probably make cakes mostly for friends, family, people you know - people who would say they are absolute perfection even if they were worthy of the cakewrecks website - so you just want an honest critique from the cakecentral cakersicon_smile.gif Don't feel bad about asking this question - we're all our own worst criticsicon_smile.gif

MarissaDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarissaDay Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:32am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

I have a reputation for being that friend that will tell you your butt looks fat if you ask. That being said - I think your cakes are really beautiful! No, they aren't flawless but they are really good. I think you're good enough for whatever you want to do. Open a business, sell cakes on the side.... dream big because you DO have talent.

OK, so your DREAM BIG statement just about made me cry! Gosh, I'm a sap.icon_razz.gif Oh and I have one of those friends and I love her!!!! She has one of the funniest and best personalities of anyone I know. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:41pm
post #17 of 17

You're very talented. I love the dinosaur cake! It's SO cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%