Black Fondant Spider W/corn Starch On It!

Decorating By jenncal55 Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 8:32pm by Win

jenncal55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncal55 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:54am
post #1 of 7

I made a fondant spider tonight but I have some corn starch on it. I remember hearing something about a paintbrush & water? Or something else? I just don't want to do the wrong thing!

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Jenn

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:04am
post #2 of 7

A paintbrush and vodka will work better than water. If you don't have vodka, use clear vanilla extract. You can also paint it with a mix of black gel color and vodka for a more intense shade of black.

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 7

I agree, vodka would be better as the alcholo evaporates but water might make it a but soft.

Lyndsey xx

jenncal55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncal55 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks! I would never think of Vodka! Not sure if I have any but I'll check! Thanks!!

Jenn

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 7

I always have vodka in a sqirty bottle to spay over gumpaste to get rid of any unwanted marks left by cornpowder or icing sugar. helps in a spray bottle so that you dont apply presure to the figure and break it.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 7

I also brush it with Crisco. Leaves it nice and shiny. Don't use water - makes it "gummy". I put the Crisco in my palm to warm it a bit while brushing.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 7

Is it separate from the cake? Simply steam it lightly over a pot of boiling water, tea kettle, or clothes steamer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%