How Long Is Gumpaste Good For?

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm by sweetcravings

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:05am
post #1 of 7

I made some back in April I believe. I had it vacuum sealed in my fridge ever since. Is it still good to use?

6 replies
sweetcravings Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 7

Ok so i just found some info online that says it's good in the fridge for around six months...so does this mean it will make people sick if used longer than that or is it just a texture type thing?? I wouldn't want to make anyone sick if i placed flowers made from this gumpaste on a cake.

Anyone?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:47am
post #3 of 7

It's fine to use. icon_smile.gif

Gumpaste that has gone bad starts to break down. You will know if it's gone bad when you look at it in the bag.

sweetcravings Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much. As i was posting it i was thinking about Indydebi's posting about 'are cakes really so fragile'..i didn't know if i was being overly cautious or reasonable with my concern it would no longer be good to put on a cake. icon_smile.gif The thought of making people sick scares me. Especially since the gumpaste flowers will be on a buttercream cake and likely to soften a little when placed on it.
The gumpaste looked fine. It was a little hard so i softened it in the microwave and kneaded it for a bit and it was back to normal. No smell either. Tell me, what does it look like when it starts to break down.?..just for future reference. I don't work with it often.

My neices always want to eat the flowers,and i wouldn't want to make 'em sick. icon_smile.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 7

I've only made gumpaste once, but the recipe I used had raw egg in it. How can something with raw egg be good for 6 months? I threw mine out after a month. I'm actually getting ready to make a new batch and am going to just make a half batch so I don't waste so much. Is there a gumpaste recipe that does not have raw egg, or anythng perishable for that matter?

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 7

Not only does it look bad, it smells bad too. I had some that I forgot to refrigerate and it was gross and stank.

If you put it in the freezer, it will last for years.

sweetcravings Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 7

Barbaranne, i'm guessing it has something to do with the amount of sugar in the recipe. Sugar has a preserving quality from what i've heard in previous discussions.

Good to know tracy. Mine didn't smell like anything. Looked just like i made it yesterday. Only noticable difference was it was pretty hard. Still nice and white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%