Does Anyone Donate Baked Cakes To Their Church?

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 3:24am by rhondab

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 18

So, I've been tossing around the idea about offering to donate cakes for my church. I'm Catholic and we love our sacraments, so our church tends to throw a lot of receptions. I thought it would be something that I could do to help out. However, I'm not sure how to handle this. I've been reading the thread "My Co-worker wants me to make a cake for free!" and besides making me ROFL, it has been informative about giving donations. No, I don't think the secretary at my church is going to rub her hands together with glee and plot ways to take advantage of me, but I am wondering if I should set limits or dates, etc. The cost of supplies could really add up depending on what they would ask for. What do you think?

17 replies
alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 18

I wouldnt worry about it now. However, when the time comes and they do approach you about donating on a regular basis you could say you'd love you with the right about of notice and you would only be able to make a cake that feeds 25-50ppl? You can set the amount of cakes you want to make. But remember you will get tired and worn down.

Is there some one in the church office you could speak to BEFORE you donate? You could ask to speak to some one who handles this type of stuff and let them know you would like to donate a cake or two a month since you arent that busy yet.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 18

I've been donating cakes to my church for years. They call me, or sometimes I even call them if I know something special is on the calendar.

They seem to be very aware of trying NOT to take advantage of me and always ask rather apologetically. They seem very grateful for the donations, too.

I see it this way--I work hard for the money that I tithe and believe that I have a God given talent for decorating. If I can keep the expenses down by donating the cakes and use the gift that God gave me, isn't that preferable to them wasting money on a crappy store-bought cake?

As for church members--I tell them that I'll gladly make them a cake as long as they donate the amount I tell them to the church, or any other charity. I guarantee the donation by having them give me the cash and I give them a money order made out to the church for the amount. That way, they can copy the money order and retain the receipt for their taxes--and not conveniently "forget" to make the donation........they may be Chrisitans, but they're human, too icon_wink.gif

I call it my "Pay It Forward Cake Ministry"--and it works great! I never feel better than when I deliver a cake to church!

HTH
Rae

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 18

I usually give them a very generous discount, like $60 for a 100 pc cake. At least so I can cover my costs. I will occasionally donate cakes but because I want to not because I have to. They love my cakes and are always happy to have one. On another note when I first started attending this church I offered to make them one for father's day and the woman in charge was like, "No it's okay we're going with ----Bakery". I got the feeling she didn't think I could make cakes. Like if she thought I just slapped on betty crocker canned icing or something. Well when it came time to serve the cake no one really cared for it. They were dissapointed to hear that I didn't make it. I've made every single one since. Ha!

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 18

Yep I am in contact with the CWL (Catholic Womens League)they take care of all the events at church I do the cakes for first communion, confirmation, etc have been doing it for the past 2-3 yrs its my contribution to the community and besides without the guidience from God I wouldnt be where I am today. HMMM I LOVE BlakesCakes Idea PAY IT FORWARD. PS I just do simple sheet cakes nothing elaborate but religious themed. I went to the CWL and talked with them no one approched me. they dont decide the design or flavors I do. I ask for aprox # and will try to accommadate but usually its a a half sheet since there is always other desserts available.

Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:50am
post #6 of 18

I donate birthday cakes to a local children's home through my church. I have a list of the kids and their birthdays, along with their likes/interests.

A birthday celebration is the one thing these kids have that can't be lost with demerits. It's their special day. Makes me feel good to contribute to it.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:57am
post #7 of 18

I have been thinking about this also...but with our church we dont really have many events where they actually "need" a cake...so I will probably just be taking cakes to pot lucks just for the fun of it...mostly for experience.

That idea about the children's home is awesome. We have a childrens home close to where I live and I have been wanting to do something special for those children. I think I will contact them next week. Thanks so much for that idea.

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 18

Thank you so much for generously sharing your advice and experience with this. I sincerely appreciate it!

-emlashlee

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 18

I donated 3 cakes last spring. My mom is the head of the auction committee, so of course she cornered me. I donated one sample cake to put on display, and then 2 others that the high bidder can custom order when she's ready. She's yet to call me! Like a lot of the bidders, they forget what they won. She is restricted to a 2 layer 8" cake, but I'll decorate it any way she likes. I think it's definitely a good cause. I also have issues with my co-workers expecting free cakes, but I'm happy to donate to a church icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 18

I'd see if there was a grow that already does that. Like the Catholic Daughters. My grandma is a part of them here and they have a list of names they go through and call for people to bring things in for celebrations or funerals. This way you wouldn't be singled out and would just get called on when it was your turn in the rotation.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:12pm
post #11 of 18

Also Catholic here, and I just donate whenever we have something. We always ask for donations for our receptions/fundraiser so my donation is just the cake. As a member of the congregation I take my cake donation as my regular donation - just like another parishioner may dontate sandwiches or chicken.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:09am
post #12 of 18

I'm working on a cake for church right now! Well, sorta for church. I do donate cakes and other baked goods to church functions, but I also do birthday cakes for my Sunday School kiddos. icon_biggrin.gif

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #13 of 18

BlakesCakes--- love your idea!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:35am
post #14 of 18

I donate often also but since it's a donation I decide when, how and what. The are very supportive and they really like my cakes, bless their hearts, and it's a good practice for me, they really don't put pressure on me because they know I don't sell so whatever I can give, when ever I an do it it's always well received.

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:42am
post #15 of 18

Our church has activities with food all the time. Sometimes it's pot luck and sometimes there is a theme. I don't have to make a cake. Other ladies in our church bring various food items including desserts. We have many great cooks and bakers in our church. However, I really enjoy trying to match the theme with a cake (like my Harvest Days Cake and the globe cake in my pictures). I do it for fun, I need the practice and I love doing things for my church. I enjoy making rainbow cake for church since the kiddos seem to really like that one. This month is Peasants' Pie Dessert right before Thanksgiving. It's just a fun name given to 'everyone bring pie' and we'll eat after church. I found a few really cute ideas on bakerella's site that I can't wait to try.

I never expect any money. I'm there eathing just like the rest of the congregation. No one expects it of me either.

Cookie45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie45 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:48am
post #16 of 18

I donate often and if I am asked to make a cake for a certain event, I simply give the receipt to the church treasurer or financial secretary so that I get tax credit for the cost of the cake. It goes on the giving record the church keeps to document tithes and offerings.

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:50am
post #17 of 18

I've not donated to a church but have made cakes for our office social committee. We held 3 theme days over this past summer and I donated a cake for raffle for each. The committee paid for the cost of ingredients and we made money for our Christmas party.

This was a win-win because I have had steady orders from some of the staff, at least one a week since then. icon_rolleyes.gif

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:24am
post #18 of 18

I baked a cake today, will decorate tomorrow, for a youth event at the church on Saturday. I also have done several wedding shower cakes for the women's mission group. Have to admit I got into cake decorating many years ago to be able to make a cake rather than have to pay my part of buying one. When we moved to our retirement location a few years ago and joined a new church, I had to offer several times before they took me up on the offer. But now I get the fun of making an occasional special cake and helping the celebration dollars go a bit farther, too - a definite win-win.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%