3 Day Old Cake... Vent!

Decorating By chasley101 Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 2:55pm by FierceConfections

chasley101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasley101 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 31

I have been in contact with a lady who found my information from my facebook page. She was needing a cake for a birthday party on a Sunday. Well that weekend I was going out of town and told her I could make the cake Thursday and drop it off to her Friday before we leave town. (I thought this was pretty generous considering I really should be packing Thursday night.)

She kind of hesitated when she thought about not have a fresh baked cake on Sunday. I told her the cake would be fine. Once the icing got on the cake this will keep it moist and the cake will be covered in a box. So the cake should not be dry at all. So I emailed her some options and prices of cakes.

I just received an e-mail back saying she has decided to go a different route because she has reservations about a 3 day old cake.

What do I say to that??
1 - "Ma'am do you realize a lot of cakes are frozen and thawed"
2 - "Ma'am not too many people bake and decorate a cake all in one day"
3 - "ARE YOU SERIOUS? Do you realize cakes at Walmart, etc are 2-3+ old, not including frozen period."

I would love to hear what your response would be!!! PLEASE!

30 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 31

I wouldn't even bother to write her back. She's going a different route, no problem.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 31

I would thank her for her inquiry and encourage her to go another route, so you can pack and enjoy yourself and not worry about the hysterical reservations of a person who is already showing signs of PITA-ishness. icon_biggrin.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 31

Ditto to the other ladies.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 31

I'd tell her to enjoy her Walmart masterpiece.....................

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I would thank her for her inquiry and encourage her to go another route, so you can pack and enjoy yourself and not worry about the hysterical reservations of a person who is already showing signs of PITA-ishness. icon_biggrin.gif

exactly! you don't need that type of business or stress yourself out right before leaving

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 31

Dear CLient:
Thanks for letting me know. Since you are looking for a cake that will be baked same day, you might want to be aware that most grocery store bakeries don't bake their cakes on site ... they are pre-baked, frozen and shipped in from across the country. Many large bakeries also bake ahead, as a good baker knows that a cake needs to settle between baking and decorating.

If I had the name of a bakery that did last minute rush orders and baked same-day, I'd be happy to share that with you, but I wanted you to be be aware of what is industry-normal so you'd know what questions to ask as you shop for a cake.

Let me know how I can help in the future, and good luck in your search for a same-day baked cake!

icon_rolleyes.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 31

On the other side of the fence about this one.....I would personally prefer not to have a cake sit out for 3+ days before serving, either.

When someone needs a cake and I can't deliver it on the day of the event, I tell them that I will provide the cake if they can find the freezer space to store it. I promise a cake that can be frozen and defrosted without anyone ever having known that it was frozen and defrosted.

If freezing isn't an option, then I don't do the cake BECAUSE I don't want to hear later that after the cake sat out for 3 days , someone was unhappy. No, that wouldn't really be my fault, but they'd probably believe that it was my fault.

I have several people who don't even hesitate when I tell them that they'll have to freeze the cake and others who just say no thanks. Either way, it's OK with me.

I'd just thank her for her inquiry and tell her that I hoped that we could work together some other time.

She was actually better than most, having had the courtesy to tell you thanks, but no thanks. You can't expect to win 'em all--and you won't.

Rae

indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 31

I routinely do a cake on Thursday (with some finishing details on Friday, maybe) for a Saturday wedding. It sits on my counter or it sits on their's .... it makes no difference to the cake.

Told that to a lady once. Baby shower cake. I'm writing up the order. I ask them what time on Sat do they want to pick it up. She says, "Oh, it's not until Sunday!" I said, "I'm not open on Sunday .... what time on Saturday do you want to pick it up?" She and friend look at each other. I said, "It sits on my counter or it sits on yours ... makes no difference to the cake. what time on Saturday?"

They picked it up on Saturday.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 31

I prep the cake on Thursday, let it settle overnight, decorate on Friday and deliver on Saturday. Every week, week in and week out. It's normal.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:17pm
post #11 of 31

oh Debi! I just want to spend a day with you!!!! You crack me up, as I was reading that I could just picture you sitting there in a chair with your legs crossed holding a clip board writing stuff down and looking up and saying " sits on my counter or yours makes no difference to the cake" You kill me sometimes!! Well.................MOST of the time!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I prep the cake on Thursday, let it settle overnight, decorate on Friday and deliver on Saturday. Every week, week in and week out. It's normal.

I have ALWAYS done the same thing. I bake 2 days ahead, decorate the next and deliver on the third day. I always hear how moist and how wonderful it was. When I explain that the icing keeps it moist, no one has complained yet.

At least now, I have some more ideas of what to say if someone questions me on it. icon_biggrin.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:20pm
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

oh Debi! I just want to spend a day with you!!!! You crack me up, as I was reading that I could just picture you sitting there in a chair with your legs crossed holding a clip board writing stuff down and looking up and saying " sits on my counter or yours makes no difference to the cake" You kill me sometimes!! Well.................MOST of the time!

Me too!!!!!! bwahhahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:23pm
post #14 of 31

People are so dumb! I would just say 3 days is the normal turn around time for a cake.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:26pm
post #15 of 31

Debi you should do what a bakery does here...they charge $125 for a day with the cake decorator!!! I'd pay money to see you in action!

indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:34pm
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

Debi you should do what a bakery does here...they charge $125 for a day with the cake decorator!!! I'd pay money to see you in action!

I've had friends and co-workers work for me for extra money. *ALL* of them never question the pricing of catering again! One of my 2010 brides is also working for me ...... she's earned a great appreciation for what I'm going to be doing for her (plus she now qualifies for the employee discount!)

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:38pm
post #17 of 31

I always bake ahead of time and everyone absolutely loves how moist my cakes are. Some people are just not very smart...do they really think that people bake, ice and decorate their cakes in one day?? Don't they realize how much work is involved??

indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytracy1981

I always bake ahead of time and everyone absolutely loves how moist my cakes are. Some people are just not very smart...do they really think that people bake, ice and decorate their cakes in one day?? Don't they realize how much work is involved??

well geesh why not? it only takes 30 minutes to bake a cake and then you just slap some icing on it, right? icon_confused.gif What's the big deal?

(dumbasses)

chasley101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasley101 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm
post #19 of 31

You ALL crack me up!! I love your honesty! I was excited to see what was said on this forum!

I told the lady it was no problem to go elsewhere for the cake. *Honestly - I was kind of happy with her decision. It allows me time to pack and get excited before our trip* She said she would keep me in mind for the future.

It's kind of hard to do one day when I work 7:30-5:00 every day! And I do have a family to feed, etc. I know a lot of us are in the same boat!

So, I'm kind of relieved! I wanted to hear what everyone else had to say!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:53pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytracy1981

well geesh why not? it only takes 30 minutes to bake a cake and then you just slap some icing on it, right? icon_confused.gif What's the big deal?

(dumbasses)

Debi, you are so funny! You've got that angelic 'everybody's favourite aunt' face, with a wicked, no nonsense tongue! icon_lol.gif

I recently had a co-worker come to me about her son's b'day cake. I've already done her younger son's cake (soccer field), and they loved it, so she wanted a basketball cake for her older son. His b'day falls on a Tuesday, so she won't be working. But the only 2 days I actually see her are Friday and Tuesday. She said her DH has a problem with having a cake delivered on Sunday (she would come to the office to get it) for a Tuesday party. I told her that I don't know of any bakers or bakeries that bake and decorate the same day - they need to 'rest' between baking and decorating, and between torting and completion. Wedding cakes are usually started at least 4 days in advance, depending on the detail involved. I also told her that most grocery stores have their cakes baked elsewhere, shipped frozen then decorated in-house with premade buttercream. And they won't do what she wants (the 1/2 basketball). She said she would talk to her husband about it, but that he probably won't change his mind. She's fine with it ... it's him.

So, to quote IndyDebi ... dumbasses.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:49pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

OMG! I was visualizing the same exact thing! LOL! icon_lol.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:23pm
post #22 of 31

All my baking takes place on Tuesday (my only day off mid week from teaching at the studio) Decorating takes place on Friday (my other day off from studio) and Saturday until delivery. I rarely take on more than one event a weekend. I did have a new customer that was referred to me last week wanting a custom "present" cake with the "wrapping paper" looking similar to the design on the invite. I took the order then she changed the delivery date after the fact to this Friday morning...so eventhough I had to teach yesterday evening, I was up at the comm kitchen until 2am last night (Wednesday) doing this cake. The bow loops are still drying so I will put those on after I get back from the studio tonight (Thursday). Thank goodness I only live 2 miles from the comm kitchen I rent, and the studio is 5 miles from my home, or I would be super pissed. But hey it was a $95 sale on a small 8" 2 layer square present cake. I generally don't take orders that have delivery dates mid week due to my time constraints. Luckily the pastor let me slide with paying since I already had the place rented for the weekend to use for a wed cake, and he didn't charge me for last night, or I would have lost mucho money on the deal.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:53pm
post #23 of 31

I get this ALL the time. People want to order a cake for a Sunday event and are all freaked out when I say the cake has to be picked up on Saturday.

"Oh dear... will it still be good?"

"Um, no. Of course it'll be covered in furry green mold, ya d*ckwad."

indydebi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:04pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

I get this ALL the time. People want to order a cake for a Sunday event and are all freaked out when I say the cake has to be picked up on Saturday.

"Oh dear... will it still be good?"

"Um, no. Of course it'll be covered in furry green mold, ya d*ckwad."

I have been known to ask people, "How old are those Oreos in your pantry? How many days has that loaf of bread been on your counter?"

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:52am
post #25 of 31

I thinks some of the issue is everyone can bake a cake... Takes all of 1hr 2 tops.

So, that is what they think is involved. They have no clue what goes into a decorated "cake". Duh people. But you know, duff does it in 30 minutes lol!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:16am
post #26 of 31

I had a thing like that today. I had a lady email me about a football helmet cake for Sunday-this Sunday!!! I mean she was a bit troubled by the fact that "it's on Thursday! I don't need it until Sunday afternoon!" Yeah, right. I explained to her that the facemask needs 4-7 days, just to dry hard enough to stand But I couldn't get her to understand gthat at all, okay!!!??! I am already over my head with the 2 cakes I have going on this weekend already. Now had she said yes when I told her I could make a football themed cake as long as it didn't need anything super big, I would have done my utmost to give her the best I could with it. But she was a no go. It had to be a helmet because her son really liked the one I made!! Ok. Sorry, but your crisis isn't my emergency!!!! So I was nice and let her go with that!!!!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:23am
post #27 of 31

About mid October I had a housewarming party. (Yay, first home!!!) Of course, I baked a cake and cupcakes and also prepared the rest of the spread. The party was on a Saturday. If I remember correctly, I baked on the Wednesday or Thursday before. Everything turned out great, but I over estimated on how much food I would need and over baked. So by the end of the party I had the cake (a 6" 2 layer) and about a dozen cupcakes left. For a couple days hubby and my brother and I picked away at the cupcakes, but we never got to the cake. Then, out of sheer laziness, I never ended up just tossing the cake.

So, fast forward about a week and a half, the cupcakes were thrown away long ago because they dried out, but the cake is still sitting on my counter. So, one night I was in major need of some sugar. I looked at the cake for about ten minutes thinking "would it be alright? It was all non perishable ingredients. The icing hasn't cracked or anything like that. . ." Finally I decide what the heck? Where's the harm in just cutting it? If it's stale, it goes in the trash. I cut it and took a bite, and to my surprise it was still as moist as the first cupcake I ate back at the party! So if you go back to when I first took it out of the oven, that cake was about two weeks old!

But then my sugar craving was calmed after the first slice and the cake quickly dried out after that. Then it went in the trash.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:27am
post #28 of 31

I've been surprised at how many customers are afraid a cake will be old after a day or two. They're like "If I pick this up Friday, will it still be good for a Saturday night party?" I'm thinking....gee....number one they'd freak out if they knew I baked earlier in the week. Number two, they'd REALLY freak if they knew how "old" most bakery cakes are!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:28am
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

I've had friends and co-workers work for me for extra money. *ALL* of them never question the pricing of catering again! One of my 2010 brides is also working for me ...... she's earned a great appreciation for what I'm going to be doing for her (plus she now qualifies for the employee discount!)

Wilton classes are an eye opener too for people...when the students work on an 8" round cake for three hours, they never look at a decorated cake as just "eggs and sugar and flour" again. haha.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:42pm
post #30 of 31

Every time I scroll down and see Indydebi's pics, I am excited to read her answer, as I know she will give me a good laugh. I could visual he sitting with customer in exact position as she is on the picture with the spatula. Be customer, I would do what she say icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%