Harder Mmf/book Cake

Baking By mandysue Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 8:26pm by majka_ze

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I want to make a book cake for this weekend and wondered if there is something I can add to MMF to make it stiffer (other than mixing it with gumpaste). The MMF will overlap the cake and I don't want it to sag down the side. Also, if anyone has any pointers for a book cake, feel free to share them!

Thanks!

2 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 3

I don't know what colors you are using....but this happened to me by accident.

I made chocolate mmf....the first time ever.....and didn't know that I should reduce the powdered sugar because of adding the cocoa powder so I kneaded in the entire 2lb bag...the result was a very very sturdy fondant after it set...I actually had to use a sharp knife and a wee bit of a sawing action to cut the cake...it wasn't like rock hard but more like just tough. It tasted great though...like tootsie roll...

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 3

With MMF, you can get the rock hard fondant and don't add anything else than sugar. Simply kneed as much PS as you can. If you are going after the "rock hard" fondant, for example for decoration which should stand, warm your MMF in MW, and in still warm fondant kneed more sugar. You will need to work with the fondant when it is still warm - not hot, only warmer then usual - because else if you kneed too much PS, it loose the elasticity when cold.
Actually, you can use this with almost any homemade fondant. I use it when rushing a cake and when I don't start soon enough for the decorations to harden normally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%