Help W/ These Cupcakes--Smooth Rounded Fondant?

Baking By dandelion56602 Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm by rainbow_kisses

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 4

I know for the cupcake ornaments you put them in the formers to dry. My question is about these cupcakes http://www.bakerella.com/its-december-time-for-christmas-cupcakes/ . Do you think she just used a round cutter & placed it on top of smoothed buttercream?

Also, how do you think she went about doing Santa's face. I know all pieces were cut out & place on (like a template), but Santa's beard seems to be holding & not flopping.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

3 replies
SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 4

I think most of it is applied right away over buttercream, perhaps the beard was cut first and let dry a bit before adding. I'm sure if you ask her in her comments, she would reply.

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 4

I dont know what she used, but I just used a round cutter and smoothed it over ganache (you can use buttercream, ganache is my own preference). It's really easy. Just smooth it with a fondant smoother after you put the fondant on. I have an example in my photos. HTH.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 4

I have just been looking at these and in her comments further dowm the page she has said that it was rolled fondent cut with a round cutter and stuck on using buttercream and the decoration was just cut out fondant. I think santas beard was just slightly bigger than the cupcake so maybe was not big enough to droop.

i would place the decoration on before drying so that they mold to the gentle curve of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%