Cake Stand Advice

Decorating By TheresaJane Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 3:32pm by TheresaJane

TheresaJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaJane Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 3

Hi there,

I'm doing a combination of cupcakes and a large cake for a birthday, and I've been looking for a suitable cake stand. I found and ordered a ten-tier acrylic one (you can use as many or as few tiers as you need), with the plan of putting the main cake on the top ad cupcakes underneath.

It arrived today, and I've put together 3 of the tiers, but I'm not convinced by the stability...

It has acrylic 'pillars' that slot into the tier above and below to hold it together, but it seems to me that while it would probably hold a reasonable amount of weight, it wouldn't take much to knock it over...it seems a bit wobbly.

What does anybody else use? a lot of the other tiered cake stands seem to be for just cupcakes etc as the have a handle out of the top (therefore you can't put a big cake there). Or does anybody use the acrylic versions without any problems?

Thanks in advance,

TJ

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 3

You can't really measure the stability of the stand when it's standing there by itself. The Wilton fountain stand, when you put it together, wiggles and wobbles like a tidal wave ... but it holds a 5 tier cake just fine.

I have the free standing acrylic stands and standing by themselves, they seem a little wobbly, but once they have a cake on them, they are nice and sturdy.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll probably be just fine.

TheresaJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaJane Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much...you've made me feel much better! x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%