Calling All Cookie Decorators!!!

Baking By mamafox Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 3:53pm by luv2bake6

mamafox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafox Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:45am
post #1 of 18

Hi, I am making 100 cookies for a banquet for a college hockey team. They are suger cookies cut out into the school mascot and hockey pucks. My big question is on icing. I usually use bc icing for my cookies but i dont normally do this many, so I need to stack them to deliver. The bc will not hold up to stacking. I have done RI in the past but the person said she really liked my bc. What do I do?! Has anyone ever thinned bc down to a point that it could be used like RI? I was going to outline the cookies and details and then use the thinned bc to flood the inner portion. Does that make sense? Very tired. Does anyone have an icing recipe that tastes like bc but sets up like ri? any help would be sooo apreciated. Getting some sleep, these cookies are due Friday and I have to work too. Oh well always up for a challenge icon_smile.gif

17 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:48am
post #2 of 18

I usually put marshmallow fondant on my cookies. You can flavor it in some pretty nice ways...butter rum, butter vanilla, maple, etc...and it's much faster than RI because you don't have to wait hours for it to dry. It hardens to where you can stack it in an hour or less.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 18

I second Texas Rose. MMF is great on cookies and you can always add either RI or fondant details. Great for edible images also.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 18

I use regular fondant on my cookies, not MMF, and people love it.

If you have access to a local cake supply, I highly recommend Satin Ice black fondant for the pucks. It tastes good and only discolors the tongue - not the whole mouth. icon_smile.gif

Thinned down bc will NEVER set up and you'll have a real mess on your hands.

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 18

try this recipe from Karens Cookies. On her website she has this as her favorite icing and she even has video tutorials that are very good!! The icing is the meringue powder buttercream, I think this is exactly what you might be looking for!!

http://www.karenscookies.net/Frosting-Prep-Types-of-Frosting_ep_47-1.html

here is a link to the tutorial of her using the icing

http://www.karenscookies.net/Cookie-Decorating-Video-1-Cookie-5-Ways-Pt-1_ep_76-1.html

and here is the link to all of the tutorials

http://www.karenscookies.net/Cookie-Decorating-Tutorials_ep_41-1.html

hth icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 18

I use fondant for the base coat on cookies too... it's softer than RI and holds up great to stacking... and it doesn't get any easier to apply. Just cut the shapes with the cutter you cut the cookies with and lay the fondant on as soon as the cookies get out of the oven. The heat will melt the fondant and adhere it to the cookies. The embellish with RI if needed. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 18

You can use a modified b'cream - B'cream for air drying flowers. It's in the recipe section.
Basically you make royal icing, then after it is stiff, add 1/2 to 2/3 cup Crisco.
NO it will not turn to soup.
It will dry nicely to the touch and you can stack cookies.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 18

you could always use rolled buttercream. I did some recently, goes on like fondant and stiffens up well, but better taste. It is also forgiving and easly spreads to the edge, if your cookie spreads a little past cookie cutter size.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:24am
post #9 of 18

I'm another fan of fondant. Satin Ice is my favorite.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:42am
post #10 of 18

I make a doctored RI. I use the regular recipe for RI and I add 1 TBL butter and butter and vanilla flavor then I beat the heck out of it. The RI will be firm enough to stack, but not rock hard like normal RI. The flavor will be close to BC in taste.
HTH!

Bonavolonta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonavolonta Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:29am
post #11 of 18

This might work. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks very similar to the one we use at the bakery I work for.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/simple-cookie-glaze-recipe
(Hope the link shows up)

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 18

cookie_fun, do you ever have a problem with the RI drying with a tacky consistency when you "beat the heck out of it"? That used to happen to me until i started just mixing till combine.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:18pm
post #13 of 18

Luv2bake6

I have not had this problem, but maybe the butter affects it?
I should probably clarify. I usually beat it for 3 to 4 minutes.

I always add the butter last, and as soon as I add that butter, the consistency completely changes.

I've been using this recipe for over a year, so any cookies in my photos are made with this recipe.

luv2bake6 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:27pm
post #14 of 18

I've never tried adding butter to the recipe. Thanks for the idea.

The wilton instructions actually say to beat it 5-7 minutes. The first time i made RI and beat it for that period of time, the consistency was that of beaten egg whites, and i could not thin it down enough. When it dried, it was very sticky and tacky. That was when i stopped beating it so long.

MarlaQuack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarlaQuack Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:13am
post #15 of 18

I really like this cookie icing recipe, but I found it too soft so I use half as much butter as she calls for.
[url]
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1961/alices-cookie-icing[/url]

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:52am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

I've never tried adding butter to the recipe. Thanks for the idea.

The wilton instructions actually say to beat it 5-7 minutes. The first time i made RI and beat it for that period of time, the consistency was that of beaten egg whites, and i could not thin it down enough. When it dried, it was very sticky and tacky. That was when i stopped beating it so long.

Luv2bake, the thickness/ stiffness of your icing is determined by the amount of water you add and the level your mixer is on. The higher the mixer, the thicker/ stiffer the icing. I usually beat my royal icing for 10 minutes on low.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:52pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaQuack

I really like this cookie icing recipe, but I found it too soft so I use half as much butter as she calls for.
[url]
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1961/alices-cookie-icing[/url]

I had to play with the link you posted. It wouldn't work from where the URL is at the end. So here it is so that you can just click on it.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1961/alices-cookie-icing

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

luv2bake6 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:53pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks RachieRach

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%