Cookie Bouquet Questions

Baking By CookieMeister Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 3:02am by linedancer

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 18

I'm having some problems with my cookie bouquets.

1) I usually put the stick into the cookie and bake it that way. On another post, someone had recommended using a glue gun and sticking the stick to teh back of the bag as a big time saver, then putting the cookie in and tying it shut. My cookies kind of sagged over and eventually broke. Anybody have this happen before? Am I not tying the bag tight enough? Is the bag too big?

2) I use the non-crumbly floral foam to put the sticks in, but they tend to loosen up in the styrofoam the more the bouquet is handled. What am I doing wrong? Or is there something else I should use to further steady the sticks in the arrangement?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

17 replies
patiese1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patiese1 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:58am
post #2 of 18

I bake with the sticks in the cookies as well. I can't get the hang of the bag and the hot glue gun method. I don't styrofoam I use the desert foam from flower decorating and my cookies seem to stay put. When I do have problems with the cookie sticks leaning I just use some hot glue on the end of the stick to shim it to the hole. hth

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 18

Here is a link to a cookie bouquet I made with the stick being glued to the bag. I really like this method, which allows you to pick your best cookies for the bouquet and eliminates the hassle of decorating around the stick.

Be sure your cookie is at the top of the bag and just tie securely around the stick. I use about a 6 inch piece of ribbon, put the cookie in the bag, take the ribbon in my left hand (I am right handed), wrap the ribbon around the stick and bag twice, tie it just once, no need to knot.

I have never had a cookie break or come out of the bag. Most of my cookies are in the 3 inch range. HTH

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1353754&sub=1353755

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 18

Those cookies are really adorable!! How did you do the leprachan ones? Is it an ei?

patiese1 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 18

Hey LINEDANCER you don't use glue at all? Just place the cookie in the bag then stick and tie with ribbon?

linedancer Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:58am
post #6 of 18

patiese1 - I do glue and tape the stick to the bag, then add the cookie and tie. Was trying to help out on CookieMeister's first point, sorry for the confusion.

luv2bake6 - Thanks for the kind words, yes, the leprachans are ei.

Just uploaded my fall bouquet, used the same technique:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1514427

Had lots of fun with these and loved how they turned out

icon_biggrin.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:20am
post #7 of 18

WOW! icon_eek.gif That's incredible. How do you get those great depressions into the RI?
The leaves are so colorful. Love the whole thing!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:29am
post #8 of 18

Like Linedancer said it sounds like you need to get your cookies all the way to the top of the bag and tie it snug right under the cookie.

I did some large centerpiece displays, each had like 30 balloon cookies. I put the cookies in the bags and tied then snugly first and then attached the sticks with the tape only and tied the ribbon arond the stick once, worked great.

Also I usualy do a layer of deco rocks from the $ store on top of the foam for heavier cookies, helps keep the sticks in place, then you can still put the your tissue/shredded paper over that. Good luck, hope you can get it to work, I love doing the bouquets this way now, it's so much easier!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:39am
post #9 of 18

Why would someone want to hot glue the stick to the bag? Its so much fun eating a cookie off a stick. haha. icon_lol.gif

patiese1 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:29am
post #10 of 18

Hey linedancer Im not so sure that you were confusing I think Im mentally challenged. icon_lol.gif One last dumb questions do you tape the stick to the outside of the bag or the inside. I also agree that eating a cookie off of a stick is so much fun !!!!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:39am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by patiese1

Hey linedancer Im not so sure that you were confusing I think Im mentally challenged. icon_lol.gif One last dumb questions do you tape the stick to the outside of the bag or the inside. I also agree that eating a cookie off of a stick is so much fun !!!!

Hey Pattie! Not a dumb question, the sticks get taped to the outside 'back' of the bag. Here are the two links one that discusses Shiney's method in depth thumbs_up.gif and the other has some great tips for bouquets in general.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-619564-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=657130&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

linedancer Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:06am
post #12 of 18

Watched TV earlier tonight, went to sleep while you guys were posting, now wide awake...so thanks andpotts for answering questions. And I agree with you, putting the stick on the bag makes everything a lot easier, including eating the cookie.

luv2bake6 - thanks again for your kind words. The icing is MMF, not RI. I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF, love working with it, like the taste, and no waiting to decorate, instant gratification.

I have quite a collection of Patchwork cutters, use them to make the impressions, although I will use about anything that I think will make the impression I want.

On the pumpkins, I used a Patchwork cutter dipped in super green luster dust for the vines. It doesn't show up quite as well in the picture, but for real, it adds a lot to have that little bit of color. So easy to do.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:49pm
post #13 of 18

I need to get some patchwork cutters. I know Global Sugar sells them. Does anybody else?

linedancer Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:40pm
post #14 of 18

Country Kitchen has a nice selection of them, also the forbidden website. This is the first set I bought, and I go back to them time and again, gave the CK website, they have a better picture:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=630851

luv2bake6 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:59pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks linedancer. I've never used patchwork cutters.

linedancer Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:33pm
post #16 of 18

You are welcome. I have never really used them like they are intended to be used, cut out, colored and so on. But I use them a lot on cookies to impress, I think they make a so so cookie a WOW cookie, JMO

luv2bake6 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:15pm
post #17 of 18

I'm trying to find good tutorials on how to use them, but don't seem to find any. I don't want to buy any dvds because most of them are for cakes and i'm only interested in cookies.
I'm the type that learns better visually....... icon_rolleyes.gif

linedancer Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:02am
post #18 of 18

Cookies are pretty easy. You can just do what you want thumbs_up.gif

This is how I use patchwork cutters/embossers. I used two different embossers on this acorn. I covered the entire cookie with brown MMF. Then I cut the cap out of tan, using the top of the acorn cookie cutter and a scalloped round one to cut the bottom of the cap.

I adhered the cap to the brown fondant, used the mini quilt patchwork embosser for the cross hatch on the cap. I use the embossers after I put the fondant on the cookie. You just press the embosser down evenly on the fondant. It seems like the cookie would break, but it does not happen very often.

I dipped the leaf embosser in copper luster dust and again, just pressed the fondant with the embosser.

The pearls are white edible sugar pearls that I bought at CK (I get to go there about once a year). I put a small amount of copper luster dust in a container, added the pearls, and swirled them around until they were covered. I make holes with the smallest ball tool I have, drop in a little thinned karo, and place the pearls.

All easy peasy and I think it makes grand cookie, one of the prettiest I make. Sorry so long, but HTH, pm me if you have any questions.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%