Cakes 4 A"friend"paid Half @ Del.& Said D Rest

Decorating By laboti Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 8:02pm by PattyT

laboti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laboti Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 22

Ok this is the story, i made a cake for a "friend"from church for a baby shower she throw for a coworker of hers, she called me a week before the event and asked me for the price of a full sheet 3 leches cake with fresh strawberries as filling and whipped cream, I gave her the price and she thougt it was to much, so she asked me what will her price be? and i said that was it! then she said what about something smaller and i asked her how much her bugget was? she said well what about a smaller then I told her look! "I will make u a 2 layer half a sheet w/peaches as filling and whipped topping tres leches cake for $45.00 just this one time and she igreed.
So the day came i made her the cake with all the things i told her and i tooked it to her mom's house cause she was there, well she grab the cake and got in her car and drove away w/cake not paying me , 1/2 an hr later she called freaking out, she got to her house and her dog jump in to the cake as she was exiting the car and it messed up left corner of the cake so she wanted me to come and fixed it for her i told her i would , so i got to her house and the cake was a disaster it even had grass on it and dirt, i told her that it was nasty and to damage there, i told her i was going to cut that part off and fixed the rest of the cake so any way. i fixed it without cutting the damaged part of it she would noyt let me , and as i was leiving asked her for the money and she just gave me $20.00 and told me i will give u the rest later , it has been 3 weeks and i finally called her and she did not pick up. so I left her a msg she has not called me yet. what should i do? I am embarrased to call again!http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1507374.html

21 replies
laboti Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 22

please forgive the spelling part i have an 8and a 3 year s old running around the house!!
icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 22

How did the dog manage to get dirt on the cake through the box? That's just gross, that she wouldn't let you cut that part off. I wouldn't have touched the cake again at that point, personally.

Anyhow, she's not going to pay you. You should have asked for the money before you handed over the cake. I know it's hard to ask a friend for money, but if you're going to sell cakes you have to get over that.

If you really want your $25 and she won't answer the phone, then call her mom and tell her you've been trying to get in touch with her daughter because she still owes money on her cake and that you need the money to buy your groceries (whether you do or not).

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 22

phone her again! email her!
and i she doesnt get back to you, a casual call to to the mum looking for your payment, but not able to track the woman down. play it polite, and innocent!
and learn from this mistake - payment up front, or at very least on collection - so that you can walk away with that cake and put it somewhere better! icon_smile.gif
xx

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 22

DONT be embarrassed you got cheated on this cake. Get the rest of your money. In fact next time you see her at Church make sure to ask for it in the company of others, she should be the one thats embarrassed. Also do not make any more cakes for this "friend"

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 22

First, you were more than generous with her, so for her to not have all the money up front was horrid. Did her mother even say anything to you like "She didn't give me the money?" (My mother would have paid you then gotten the money back from me.)

Second, she expects you to run to her place because her dog ruined the cake? Would a grocery store do this? Nope.

Then, she not only doesn't pay you the entire amount, it sounds like she didn't even offer to pay you to come right away and fix it.

So, you have two choices. Meet up with her at church and tell her pay up now (and add a 'fix it fee") ... or ... write it off as a learning experience for not ever taking an order from her or anyone she recommends to you ever again.

Oh, and if I read your post correctly, she wouldn't let you cut off the dog damaged section? EEEWWWW! Would you eat anything that someone had just walked on with their shoes, 'cuz the same stuff that's on the bottom of the dog's feet is on the shoes.

Good luck.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 22

That's called Karma right there. LOL She thought she'd make a fast get away with that cake and the dog stopped her. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif She needs to go on the "No cake fore you!" list. Good luck with dealing with her. I would contact her and ask for the remaining balance of the cake. It doesn't make any difference that it got ruined by her dog. You agreed on a price and you made it and she took it. She owes.

laboti Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 22

thank you all for your advise!! i now feel better and i will call her again today! God bless you all!!! icon_smile.gif

Michellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellescakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 22

Chalk it up to lessons learned. If someone dashed off like that on me, and then called me to come fix something, I would have dashed it right back to my place! You won't get your money......people like that will never pay up and it won't be worth it in the long run. My biggest lesson over the years is to have people Pay Up front in Cash for specialty cakes. Cash in hand first.....then the sweets come out! My regular customers are different, and they would never act like that. But new people........beware!

Dirty people get dirt in their face, I'm sure the party loved the cake she fed to them. Think of what they think of her!

laboti Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chalk it up to lessons learned. If someone dashed off like that on me, and then called me to come fix something, I would have dashed it right back to my place! You won't get your money......people like that will never pay up and it won't be worth it in the long run. My biggest lesson over the years is to have people Pay Up front in Cash for specialty cakes. Cash in hand first.....then the sweets come out! My regular customers are different, and they would never act like that. But new people........beware!

Dirty people get dirt in their face, I'm sure the party loved the cake she fed to them. Think of what they think of her!

yes u are right! i usually do that cash first cake ltr! but we thought we knew her! that is the biggest mistake i have evr done and i believed i have learned my lesson. thank you for u comments! god bless!

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 22

First of all, this woman is not your friend ~ and whether you get paid or not ~ don't ever make a cake for her again! A true friend would pay you without haggling and tip you on top of it!

That said, I would not have fixed the damaged cake unless she paid what she owed me first. Live and learn.....

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:22am
post #12 of 22

Heck, I wouldn't have DRIVEN over there with out an extra charge and yeah, then there would have been another charge for actually fixing the cake. It's not like it was messed up cause of you.

And Beckalita is so correct! This person IS NOT your friend. I hope you know that. She sounds like a user.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:36am
post #13 of 22

If she keeps avoiding your phone calls, you should sit next to her at church.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:47am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by laboti

So the day came i made her the cake with all the things i told her and i tooked it to her mom's house cause she was there, well she grab the cake and got in her car and drove away w/cake not paying me

Grabbing product to be sold and "dashing" away with it without paying. I believe no matter where you live on the globe that would be considered theft.

You should absolutely have no hesitation in calling her. She STOLE from you. Would you just let a mugger run away with your purse without calling the police on him? I think not.

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:02am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

If she keeps avoiding your phone calls, you should sit next to her at church.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

laboti Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:14am
post #16 of 22

you guys are awesome !!!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:24am
post #17 of 22

I'm so sorry to hear all that happened to you. I have to agree with each position everyone has given you. I think it depends on what you are more comfortable doing at this point, write her off, or put her on the spot in front of others at church... Let us know how you make out and what you decide. Right now, I think whichever is easier for you to deal with is the right way to go.

It just makes me realize how lucky I have been. I was still in my "practice" phase of doing cakes and giving them to family and friends when a very good friend, and neighbor asked me to do a cake for her family reunion. It was a great opportunity for more practice for me, and they have been such wonderful neighbors I was thrilled to finally be able to do something for them. I made them their cake, brought it over to their house, and they refused to take it unless I accepted payment for it. icon_surprised.gif I tried to argue and just not accept the money, but.... I can now look back and very happily say they were my first paid cake.

laboti Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:18pm
post #18 of 22

hey guys!! i have to tell you all that my "friend" finally after 2 more calls , she called me on saturday and paid me the $25.00 . thank you so much!!!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:32pm
post #19 of 22

I'm so glad to hear that. Good going. And thank you for the update

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:38pm
post #20 of 22

Thank goodness. The silly things people try to do.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:35pm
post #21 of 22

I'm glad that she paid you. It's not your fault that all of that went wrong with the cake. You were definitely owed that money.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:02pm
post #22 of 22

When I read this thread, it reminded me of a scene in a favorite movie "A Bronx Tale". The local mob boss (Sonny) is talking to a young boy in the neighborhood. The young boy is owed $20 by someone and he asks the boss if he should beat him up for it.

Sonny: What's the matter?

Colagero: This guy Louie Dumps over here, you know, he owes me twenty dollars. It's been two weeks now, and every time he sees me, he keeps dodging me. He's becoming a real pain in the a__, should I crack him one or what?

Sonny: What have I been telling you, sometimes hurting someone ain't the answer. First of all, is he a friend of yours?

Colagero: No, I don't even like him.

Sonny: You don't even like him. There's your answer right there. Look at it this way, it cost you twenty dollars to get rid of him. Right? He's never gonna bother you again. He's never gonna ask you for money again. He's out of your life for 20 dollars. You got off cheap. Forget about it.

So the moral of YOUR story, is that you will never have to make a cake again for that person! "You got off cheap."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%