Fall, Houseboat, Triple Birthday....help!?!?!

Decorating By DakotaDesigns Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 9:14pm by brincess_b

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 3

I've got a creative block for the first time. I've got a request to make a themed cake, combining three different themes. They'll be celebrating thanksgiving and three birthdays at the same time on a houseboat. So she would like fall colors and something incorporating the idea of houseboating (or anything to go with it) and some kind of 'picket' signs for the different people's birthdays. ( suggested a picket style that way if one of the birthday people don't show up she can easily remove their sign).

I made some pumpkins a couple weeks ago for cupcakes that ended up not being used and she really likes those and would like me to use them. The part I'm having trouble with is coming up with an idea to fit the size and budget. She only needs to feed between 4-10. So to be safe and have some kind of decorating space I'm thinking of a 9x13 two layers. Any ideas? The budget is $40 so I don't want to go all out extravagant.

2 replies
DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 3

Ok so no help on ideas. What I have come up with is a round tree stump cake with pumkins and fall leaves around the side. The center of the stump a lake with a little boat and three life savers with the birthday peoples names on them..... any suggestions? Does this sound like a good idea? I think it would be pretty simple to do with buttercream and fondant accents.....

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 3

that does sound pretty good! i hate people thinking you can just combine all these ideas and three personalities into one cake. makes life too tricky! her budget isnt exactly generous though, just making your life harder.

a two layer 9x13 serves 50 wedding size. so even at a basic $2.50 a serving (and this cake, although 'simple' will still take a bit of time and extra modeling, and even if u do it in bc, with the fondant accents aswell, totally justies a higher price than that bare minimum) that is at *least* $125.

although u mention a round cake in your second post, but even so it will be out of this womans budget. you might need to have a chat - 4-10 servings is a 6 inch cake, and although smaller, they can be tricky to do and leave you no space to decorate how she wants. so although 12 servings x $2.50 =$30, by the time you make it look like she wants, its over budget again. the tree stump idea sounds good, but it would need to be kept basic for her budget. a couple of leaves with the names maybe.

she may be better off with cupcakes (most people go by the dozen), simple iced, with a pumpkin on top of some, a boat/ duck/ water (simple, 2D cut out) on some, and the 3 names. but of course, accents cost extra!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%