I'm The Idiot...

Decorating By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 12:11am by jillmakescakes

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:08pm
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecookieladycc

"Good Grief its ONLY $35" I told her "Yeah but its MY $35 and I need it now." thumbsdown.gif

You know she wanted a free cake! Geez, some ppl are crazy!

It shouldnt matter how much the cake was/is they wanted something and they should pay it....there stealing!

Next time a person tries to do this remind them they are stealing a cake from you because they having paid for it!

My husband tells me I under charge for allot of cakes. I'm sure I do. But I learned from this past week I need to start getting 1/2 of the payment before I start buying anything and cash when I pick up!

So have you gotten payment yet????

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:55pm
post #32 of 41

Follow up--I just got a call from the customer and she apologized all over herself and put the check in the mail today. Loved the cake, lots of compliments, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Ahem. Yes, well, no more cake for anybody that doesn't pay up front. I have a tasting on Saturday and if they want me to do their wedding cake in March they will be paying me 50% on Saturday to get on my calendar.

Oh and that was a great point someone brought up about selling image copyrighted cakes. I hadn't thought of that, but will from now on. So am I to assume that since the galleries on here are full of those types of cakes they must have all been done as gifts? icon_confused.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:59pm
post #33 of 41

Ladies, that's great that she's paying you. Hmmm, yes, even if it took her a month to realize it. LOL Good for you for not letting people take advantage of you. Good luck ,

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 8:18pm
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiesofthehouse

Follow up--I just got a call from the customer and she apologized all over herself and put the check in the mail today. Loved the cake, lots of compliments, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Ahem. Yes, well, no more cake for anybody that doesn't pay up front. I have a tasting on Saturday and if they want me to do their wedding cake in March they will be paying me 50% on Saturday to get on my calendar.

Oh and that was a great point someone brought up about selling image copyrighted cakes. I hadn't thought of that, but will from now on. So am I to assume that since the galleries on here are full of those types of cakes they must have all been done as gifts? icon_confused.gif

From what I understand it is OK if you don't sell them. I think the problem is you making money off someone else's character, that's why the Wilton character pan state "for home use only"

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 8:30pm
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiesofthehouse

Follow up--I just got a call from the customer and she apologized all over herself and put the check in the mail today.

She lives 5 minutes away but had to put the check in the mail? icon_confused.gif I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to arrive.

MamaMayhem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMayhem Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:01pm
post #36 of 41

Wow, she should have left payment with her husband if she wasn't going to be there!

That said, to play the devil's advocate, she could have been REALLY far behind like she originally said and was out picking up everything else she put off till the last minute. Like decorations and food! LOL

I'd call her in the morning to "arrange a time to pick up payment".

Good Luck!

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:02pm
post #37 of 41

I had an ongoing situation with someone "mailing a check". First they claimed it was lost in the mail...after me calling several times they sent a "replacement" check...that guess what????? it BOUNCED!...my hubby told me to "take it as a loss"...but I got more and more angry that someone would do that. Its wrong, its stealing and its just nasty!....so i called this womens cell phone early in the morning and late at night...till she finally answered...gave me the run around that it was her banks "fault"...and promised me a cash payment. I charged her an extra $25 for the hassle. she finally dropped off the money and apologized.

P.S. the only reason why she got back to me is cause i called up the friend who suggested to her to call me. I'm sure i embarassed her.

P.S.S. my new policy is 50% cash deposit two weeks prior...and cash at pickup.

I hope you get your money...if not...be persistant.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:59pm
post #38 of 41

I learned this lesson LONG ago. NO CHECKS EVER...Credit Cards or Cash and full payment of any cake under $400 at time of order, and large cakes at or over $400, $300 or 50% down whichever is greater, and balance due 2 weeks prior to event. If they don't like my policy they don't have to order! But I will never go through the jumping of hoops to get the money that is owed to me ever again!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:08pm
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Well, if she really is good buddies with your brother, I'd be calling him and telling him to get on her case--NOW.

You probably wouldn't have done the cake without that relationship, so I'd tell him that you expect him to intervene and get your $$.

Rae

Blakescakes~ As I'm reading this thread I look down at the cool waves "16 days to cakecruise.." and I'm thinking, oh, that's right, I'm going on a cake cruise to .......in sixteen days??!! OMG - I can't believe it's only 16 days away!!!
PS - Sorry to steal the thread, I just got carried away!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:05am
post #40 of 41

so that's a polite way of putting it.

Customer: "Do you make miniature wedding cakes?"
Me: "Yes, (go into detail)"
Customer: "Great, how do we go about scheduling a tasting?"
Me- a little confused: "I'm sorry, I must have misheard you. I thought you said a miniature wedding cake. How many people were you looking to serve?"
Customer: "I was looking for a miniature wedding cake. We will only need enough for three servings, its for our anniversary."
Me: icon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_mad.gificon_twisted.gif "Our tasting appointments are typically for bridal cakes."
Customer: Well, we can't order something without tasting it first." Click.

I totally understand tastings for wedding cakes or for a very large occasion cake, but for THREE FRICKIN PEOPLE???!!!!

Ok, let the stories begin!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:11am
post #41 of 41

sorry- I meant to create a new topic, but it somehow added to this one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%