Best Cake For Carving That Is Not Dry?

Baking By sjc0858 Updated 13 Oct 2013 , 4:18am by pixiemom

sjc0858 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjc0858 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 8

Hello,
I am hoping to get some advice on the best cake to use (maybea recipe or general idea) for 3d cakes. I purchased the "Cartoon Cakes" by Debbie Brown and tried the recipe for the sponge cake that was listed in the book. The cake was VERY dry...not pleasant at all. I am wanting to make my daughter the Tom & Jerry cake from the book but do not want to serve a sponge if it is going to be dry like that recipe. Any advice is appreciated!
THANKS!
SHANNON

7 replies
TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 8

sponge cake needs to be brushed with simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water brought to boiling) or it will be very dry--I usually flavor it with something.

Really you can use pretty much any cake for carving, if it is very tender you can freeze it for a bit so it is firmer when you carve it. Otherwise any type of pound cake works well.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 8

If you don't mind using a box, the WASC (White almond Sour Cream) from this site is awesome. Produces a sturdy, yet moist and delicious cake with a fine crumb that is perfect for carving.

sjc0858 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjc0858 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 8

Awesome! Thanksicon_smile.gif

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 8

There is also a thread going around here about a scratch WASC that is very nice.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 8
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 8

WASC is great for carving & super moist, you can add 4 oz. melted choc. per 1 box mix used to firm it up if it is really intricately carved and use 3 whole eggs in place of the egg whites (which I do anyway, I hate having extra egg yolks). I also just used this to carve a camaro: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1599/enhanced-cake-formula , it is basically WASC with butter added and it worked well.

pixiemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiemom Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 4:18am
post #8 of 8

AJust wondering what flavor of frosting/ filling you would use in this? It's for a 4 year old party...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%