Suspended Cake

Decorating By ashleyj Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 7:46pm by leah_s

ashleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyj Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 7

I have a request for a 3-tier wedding cake. The very top layer is suspended and designed to appear as if the stems from the lillies are holding up the top layer and the top layer has the top of the lillies sticking out. So, it looks as if the stems are standing on the 2nd tier and the flower is going all the way thru to the top tier. I have a picture but I can't attach it here or I don't know how. The URL is below and the picture is all the way at the bottom. If anyone knows how this is done I would certainly appreciate your advice! Thank You!
www.weddingcakecreations.com/gallery.asp?Page=11
[/url]

6 replies
MOGRISER Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOGRISER Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 7

When you find out let me know
Is the top cake a dummy cake?
It would have to have a counter weight in the cake right?
Is it a metal welded together stand that the cake is on and the flowers hide the metal support?
I'm can't wait to find out!!!!

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 7

It looks like they have a tube dividing the second and top cake. They wrapped stems around the tube seperating the two layers, with a top tube holding the flowers that are "growing" through the top tier. I didnt do it, but that is what it looks like to me. HTH!!

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 7

If you had an acrylic separator with some sort of tub in the middle, that would work for the separation. Then perhaps a small tube with florist foam inserted into the top tier to continue the effect? It might be a custom stand due to the ovals that the cake tiers are...If you were crafty and handy enough you could recreate this affect in any cake shape you chose...In fact I want to try it sometime..lol

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 7

Lazy_Susan show cased a cake here on cc very similar to this one. Ask her

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 7

I've done that cake. You use the Crystal Splendor set. Glue the stems around the tube. Obviously the tube goes through one cake which is sitting on a Crystal Splendor plate and then the top cake (the one in the air) just sits on the other Crystal Splendor plate.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%