I Learned Something On Last Nights New Cake Boss Episode

Decorating By pattigunter Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 6:33pm by Rusti

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 5

I've done several 3-d cakes lately where I had trouble getting RKT to stick to my stand. I blamed it on humidity and used melted candy melts as a glue. But that gets really EXPENSIVE! I saw Buddy build an airforce jet last night and he used royal icing to glue his rice krispie treats onto his form. DUH - it make so much sense now that I think about it. Candy melts work really well but if your form is big it can get quite pricey. Royal icing is a much more economical option.

I was also surprised to see that Carlo's Bakery buys RKT in sheets. I would have thought an operation that big would make their own.

4 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattigunter

I've done several 3-d cakes lately where I had trouble getting RKT to stick to my stand. I blamed it on humidity and used melted candy melts as a glue. But that gets really EXPENSIVE! I saw Buddy build an airforce jet last night and he used royal icing to glue his rice krispie treats onto his form. DUH - it make so much sense now that I think about it. Candy melts work really well but if your form is big it can get quite pricey. Royal icing is a much more economical option.

I was also surprised to see that Carlo's Bakery buys RKT in sheets. I would have thought an operation that big would make their own.

Good idea. Sometimes, though, making your own is not as economical as purchasing....plus I think the commercial ones probably have a more consistent texture that homemade...to many variables.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 5

I usually make my own, especially when I will be mushing it into a shape but when I need them to be straight, like a wall or a box I buy them in sheets at Cash & Carry. It is more expensive though.

For some reason I never used RI either. I either used bc or piping gel and I would have problems sometimes too.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 5

The bigger you get, the more you use premade stuff. Labor is the most expensive item of cost.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 5

I also noticed he uses Fat Daddio pans. That's my favorite.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%