I Need Your Help For A Very Special Cake!

Decorating By pumpkinroses Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 3:12pm by pumpkinroses

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:37am
post #1 of 13

Every year I do some type of cow cake for a co-workers daughter. On Friday she goes in for heart surgery. Her birthday is 12/10 and I want to do something special.

Here's the hard part. It has to be cow related (her favorite animal) but it can't look like a cow or be white with black spots (she won't cut or eat it then).

In my photos I have the other cow cakes I have done for her, and now I need some ideas.

Please help,
Nikki

12 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 13

Hmmm thats a toughy since I dont know much about the special recipient.

Depending on how old she will be you can do a cake with flowers on it with a cow figure that has some angel wings and a halo with the saying "Holy Cow look who's turning (age)...

Only thing I could come up with this early in the morning.

HTH

pumpkinroses Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks G-Cakes for the idea.

She's going to be 11. They're hoping for the heart procedure to be done with a catheter but if her veins are too small she will have open heart. She's full of life and just wants to be active again. She's a brave little girl and has been trying hard to get bigger so she could have the surgery.

More idea's are welcome.

thanks again
nikki

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 13

What about a barn? I saw some adorable cow figures in your pictures - they could be outside the barn so she would still cut the cake. Good luck with this special cake!

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 13

I love this cake... I don't think it's in our galleries. I saw it once while perusing the internet. No black and white spots here!

edited to add: icon_redface.gif hit the submit button before I typed you could put your barn on top of the cake vs. the actual cow.

Another idea is to make the cake into a "cowgirl" themed cake. Hat, boots, pink bandana...
LL

pumpkinroses Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks for the wonderful ideas. They all sound great.

The cow figures I did in the past, she still has (well all but one that the dog got to). The rest are named and in her room.

keep the ideas coming these are great!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 13

In Calgary, Alberta they paint cows that I think get auctioned off as a charity fundraiser. Some of them are really fun, you could do a cow and then paint it up, not like a cow. Maybe shoe would cut that.

http://www.viewcalgary.com/downtown/vUdderlyArt2.html
http://www.viewcalgary.com/downtown/vUdderlyArt1.html

Win Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinroses

The cow figures I did in the past, she still has (well all but one that the dog got to). The rest are named and in her room.

To me, that is the highest compliment... The mom of the children I baby-sit has kept every figure I have ever done of them. The little boy for whom I did the baseball cake kept his, and the other little boy for whom I did the Harry Potter has kept his. I'd say you would not have to worry if you use an actual cow figure --she obviously loves them. Now, you could get creative and use them in different settings such as a row of three sitting in front of the big screen: "Cows at the MOOvies." The screen could look like credits scrolling small to large and contain the Happy Birthday message.

icon_biggrin.gif

pumpkinroses Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks Win, I love that idea. The family always has Movie night with colored popcorn (I gave them some baggies with food coloring so they could try it out). The cows could be her and her 2 brothers. I love this site.

Thanks for the help. I knew you all would come through!

Win Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinroses

Thanks Win, I love that idea. The family always has Movie night with colored popcorn (I gave them some baggies with food coloring so they could try it out). The cows could be her and her 2 brothers. I love this site.

Thanks for the help. I knew you all would come through!

Funny... I was running with the idea in my head and had already thought, "oh, and you could have popcorn, and soda, and, and, and... "

icon_biggrin.gif

thumbs_up.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:14am
post #12 of 13

Wow this is why I love CC, such great ideas and a wealth of untapped talent all willing to help out!

I love that she is keeping the figures that you made in the past.

Maybe with this cake you can make more to add to her collection and she can start a little moo-seum in her room LOL

was also thinking since she is having heart surgery (hope all goes well) that you could incorporate a heart in there somehow.

Maybe a heart shaped cake with a lil cow figure on it.

pumpkinroses Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:12pm
post #13 of 13

I have decided to go with the movie idea and the cow figures will be her and her brothers. One will be in a hockey jersey, one in camo, and then with hers I think I'll have it holding a heart (thanks G_Cakes for the heart idea). There will be popcorn, soda and of course the big screen, the cake will be the pasture and around the sides maybe a fence and flowers. The screen will have either something from "Barnyard" or "Joe Dirt" movies (hers and her brothers favorite movies).

Thanks again for the help and ideas. I may be posting with questions. This site is so helpful.

Nikki

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%