Working At Frys Food Store As A Decorator?

Decorating By cassiopeia Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 8:36pm by cassiopeia

cassiopeia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassiopeia Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 10

A cake decorator position has opened up at my local Frys Food store.
I was wondering if anyone has worked there doing this? Is it an ok job and does it pay well? Right now I have a full time job that pays pretty good and I wouldnt want to mess that up for a job that is not so great. My current job is just an office sit down desk job that is not fun and cake decorating is what I really want to do. Any info would be great. Thanks

9 replies
CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 10

You'd have to call and ask because each store is different, but usually the cake decorator positions are part time and don't pay very well.

Besides, it's probably not a good idea to apply at Fry's right now anyway what with the big flap over the upcoming Union strike. It's hard to say what positions are truly open. Fry's put out a big ad over the weekend hiring for all positions because they anticipate a walkout this week. If the walkout doesn't happen, they won't be hiring from what I understand.

cassiopeia Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 10

Thats not good news but thanks for the info. Maybe if they only hire part time I could work both jobs. I would really love to work at a bakery but it seems like none of the bakeries in Arizona are looking for anyone to help out.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 10

At a job like that you can expect to work Thurs, Fri and Sat for sure.
Most places, especially union shops, *MUST!* start you at minimum wage and it takes something like 3 yrs full time hours to work up to the next level icon_sad.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 10

that said, it is truly a great experience to work at a supermarket bakery, even if for a little while. You can up your skills on their dollar, and that is priceless. It also makes you work up your speed. doing both jobs would probably be ideal- decorators at large stores don't usually get paid the big bucks- just consider getting paid to go to school. You get what you put into it- even grocery store decorators can be awesome if they want to be!

cassiopeia Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 10

Yeah I dont mind working nights weekends or anything. I will work whenever. That's interesting about the minimum wage part. I have been hired at Fry's before for a cashier position and it was higher than minimum. I ended up not taking the job but I wonder if it would be the same for a bakery position. My mother was talking to the bakery lady at Safeway and she says she make $13.50. I was just wondering if Fry's was the same. Do you think working for a grocery store bakery looks better on a resume when trying to get a job at a bakery?

jenmat Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 10

If you were to walk into my bakery with a grocery store on your resume, I would have to look at your work, but all things being equal I would hire you over a home decorator any day. I know you'd be quick and I know you'd understand bottom line. Time is money, and the fact that you would be quicker would be VERY attractive to me.

jenmat Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 10

PS- I worked at Walmart for 3 years, then another bakery after that. Now I have my own business, and I thank God every day for Walmart!
I also got paid more than they pay now. They adjusted payscale since then and now they make like 7.35 or something (which is just nuts)
Never been to a Fry's, but if you are serious about decorating- take it. That's just my opinion.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 10

Cassi, that's because here in AZ just about no one is hiring period. icon_sad.gif We're one of the harder hit states as far as unemployment rates go. Even the places which have signs up saying they're hiring really aren't. (Yes I'm looking at you Taco Bell!) You might have to wait until the economy here gets a little better before trying to get a bakery job.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, just realistic. I've been trying to find a part-time second job for almost a year with no luck at all. If you do get a job at Fry's that would be great!

cassiopeia Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 10

Yeah I know all about the bad economy. I currently work for a bankruptcy trustee. Good for me bad for others. I know I shouldnt quit my job right now since it is so secure right now but Im just not happy with it.

Thanks for all your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%