How Could I Have Made This Better?

Decorating By hensor Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 3:38am by DianeLM

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 16

This is the first fondant bow I have attempted. Thought it was pretty easy, but couldn't figure out how to make it without all the buttercream showing in the middle. Anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to make this look more professional.

Thanks.
Heather

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1511758.html

15 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 16

It's a really cute cake, bow included icon_biggrin.gif Most people use candy melts to glue the bow together if they're not making one with wires. Since this was brown, it would have been easy to just melt some chocolate chips to use as glue...no need to try to match the color with candy melts.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 16

first of all, the cake looks amazing!!! but since you want to improve the bow a little I have two suggestions:

First, maybe let dry the loops a little bit more, a couple of them look like they are loosing the "loop" and getting flat.
Second, maybe when you assemble the loops, put a toothpick at the end so you can stick them into the cake.

Still the cake looks amazing! the colors are great@ congrats!

hensor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 16

Thank you both for your ideas and suggestions. I will definitely remember this the next time I make one.
Vagostino - How long do you dry your loops. I made these Thursday night and put them on the cake Saturday. I wanted to use 50/50 gumpaste and fondant, but my gumpaste was acting up.

Thanks again. icon_biggrin.gif

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 16

Dry for three to five days.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 16

I would do as Texasrose said and use choc candy melts, or brown RI.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 16

I'm a big fan of the wired loop. That way I can place each loop exactly where it needs to go.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 16

I am so glad that you posted this question because I have seen some amazing bows on here and mine look so awful. I really like the idea of the toothpicks but leah_s how would one go about using the wires. Where would the wires be placed?I know that this may sound stupid but I am totally lost. I am having a hard time visualizing it

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 16

I use toothpicks and mix gumpaste with fondant - they dry hard enough within a couple of hours using Wilton's premade GP. I only use toothpicks in some of them, as a few loops will stay put because they are suppported by the other loops.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:14pm
post #10 of 16

I use 50/50 fondant and gumpaste. usually unless is raining a lot, mine are dry after a day.
Now if they are all fondant that is different, sometimes they dry with no problem, sometimes they never completely dry!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:30pm
post #11 of 16

i cut out a 3"-4" round disk. from g/p.. maybe 1/8" thick. let that dry. make my loops.. let them dry. i don,t dry over a round forner.. i just sat up on edges ..looks more realistic.. when i cut the peices for the bow loops .. i run down the edges with a ball tool. and also the tails. i dry the tails over crumpled foil.. then i take 6" cake board. and build by bows. using r/i of the same color or candy melts of same color as bows. leave to dry at least a day. then the recepient can keep this bow. they love it.. i use tooth pick in my loops and tails...if i just need some on edges of cake tiers with the flowers ,etc i might have on them.. hth your cake is very pretty and love the color..

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:45pm
post #12 of 16

.........How long do you dry your loops.........

I have often used straight fondant for bow looks and dry them overnight w/o problems. It does depend on how humid your area is.
Perhaps you need a way to make the loops more open. Maybe use toilet paper cores or other rolls.
When you use more loops it looks better. Maybe add a few more next time.

icer101 has some good suggestionsicon_smile.gif

hensor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:40pm
post #13 of 16

I used straight Wilton fondant and dried them for 2 days. I made the loops and laid them on their sides to dry on a cake board. I'm in Northern Michigan so not very humid here.
I can see now there are many ways to improve for the next time. This is why I love this site icon_smile.gif
Thank you all for your helpful insight.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:49pm
post #14 of 16

Here's my most recent bow:

I hang up a 1" dowel and dry the loops hanging over it. I used gumpaste for this one and they were dry in a few hours, but I left them hanging up overnight just to be sure. I used white chocolate to glue it together.

When I used marshmallow fondant, it took about two days to completely dry. It doesn't feel as crisp when it's dry as gumpaste.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:50am
post #15 of 16

Here's a link to a great step by step tutorial that might give you a couple new hints or tricks that may help:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/77/how-to-make-a-fondant-loop-bow

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:38am
post #16 of 16

That's an adorable cake!! Your bow looks good, too. One suggestion I'd make right off is to spread the bottom row of loops out more. That will give it more fullness.

I always use melted chocolate, tinted to match the bow, to attach my loops. Always let each row set up in the frig before starting the next.

I have a tutorial in my sig below that might help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%