Ganache Under Fondant

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 4:40pm by FullHouse

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 5:33pm
post #31 of 45

ryaln great tips on your website!
i am doing the gnache under fondant this week-end for my daughters cake. first time trying this!
i think this post has answered all my questions--but one, (or two, three icon_smile.gif
do you put anything on the cake before your use the gnache?
(example crumb coat)
and how long-approx. do you wait until you cover your cake with the fondant? does the gnache need to be hard, firm, soft???
and because im using a cream cheese frosting, i will have to refrig. the cake. is the gnache and fondant (its satin ice) ok to be refrig???
thanks in advance to anyone who can help me before i start this cake.

aundrea Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 8:18pm
post #32 of 45

anyone???

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:33am
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

anyone???

I'm a ganache newbie but had nice results will post them this week. I am a bit confused about your question. You are using ganache, fondant AND cream cheese frosting? I don't understand how you are going to use all 3 on one cake? Maybe if you explain someone can help. I will say this, I didn't crumb coat because it didn't need it. Cake was removed from freezer and thawed a bit then I torted and ganached it. I let it sit overnite and then next morning before putting fondant on I put in the fridge for about 15, 20 minutes. I painted on some piping gel to help fondant stick and everything worked out perfectly. Not sure if that helped you or not.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:41am
post #34 of 45

Hi Aundrea, sorry for the late reply.

I don't put a crumbcoat on my ganache. The only time I did is when I carved a cake and it got really crumbly so I had to use another coat.

I suggest you go straight ganache with no crumbcoat if you are doing regular tiers.

As for when to put the fondant. I like to refrigerate my cakes--that way it will form a really firm-hard shell. Once it comes to room temperature it will we soft(er) again.

I've refrigerated ganache and Satin Ice and never had a problem.

aundrea Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 1:19am
post #35 of 45

thanks for the replies.
i have cream cheese frosting in the layers, not on the cake. sorry for the confusion.
i made the gnache-and extra BC incase this doesnt work.
i did add a very light layer of crumb coat bc my cakes were so crumbly. and i dont think the gnache would cover well.
i will be applying it soon, so wish me luck!

aundrea Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 3:57am
post #36 of 45

o-m-g! i just did one of my cakes (second tier still to do!) this is the best thing ever!! never ever again will i use buttercreme under fondant!!
thank-you thank-you thank-you for all the help and advice!
i love the sturdiness (?spelling) it gives my cake! each cake is 3 layers so this is great!
the crumb coat helped alot. especially with because its red velvet cake and i didnt want the red crumbs to show through the gnache.
whoever came up with this, i tip my hat to you! wooohoooo!
***my fondant can use major help, im using satin ice,now that i found a new way to do fondant cakes i may just do more of them.

Rylan Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:25am
post #37 of 45

Aundrea, I'm glad you liked it! I love it as well.

Don't forget to post pictures when you are done.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:06am
post #38 of 45

Hi- this is a great thread. I'm wondering about the ganache under the fondant in hot weather? I love this idea and will be trying it, but am wondering if this is a method that doesn't work out so well in the hot, summer months? I would worry that the ganache would melt and cause the fondant to slide. Anyone have experience with this method in the heat? (Rylan, I know you're in Vegas, what do you think?) -- [/img]

Rylan Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:22am
post #39 of 45

Hi Elvis. I have never had a problem with the ganache melting. That would depend on how hot is hot though. I've had ganached cake sit in a 80 degree house for a while with no major problems.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:43pm
post #40 of 45

I just wanted to share with you all. I ganached a cake for the 1st time this weekend and I LOVE using it, but..... I did try just using a steamer to make the ganache sticky enough for the fondant, it did not work at all, my fondant would up tearing badly because I had to lift it and try to get in under it with some melted raspberry preserves to provide a stickier surface. Live and learn, this cake was just for my DH & kids so I didn't bother using a new batch of fondant. Now I know for next time, I will paint melted preserves over the ganache to give the fondant a good surface to stick to. HTH someone else.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:49pm
post #41 of 45

Thanks Rylan, that's good to know. FullHouse, that helps me too.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:01pm
post #42 of 45

Just becareful and not use too much syrup or preserves, it can melt and run out at the bottom under fondant!! Speaking from experience.

FullHouse Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:20pm
post #43 of 45

Thanks for the warning. It's nice to learn from each others' mishaps. On the parts I did use preserves, I painted it on as thin as possible. I also let them cool after melting so the heat from the preserves wouldn't melt my ganache.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:31pm
post #44 of 45

Just use a very thin coat, I obviously put too much when I did my football helmet, because after I applied the fondant, and it set for a while, I had blue goo coming out around some of the bottom. I now only use water to adhere fondant to ganache covered cakes.

FullHouse Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:40pm
post #45 of 45

My learning experience was with a helmet as well. I got it pretty wet with the steamer but it still didn't want to stick, which caused a TON of tearing, why I will use preserves next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%