Job Interview Tomorrow - Wish Me Luck

Lounge By Ruth0209 Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 9:12pm by FloraFlora

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:55am
post #1 of 13

So here's my soap opera. I got laid off my corporate job in March and decided to run my cake business full time. My DH and I planned that he would provide the health insurance for the family so I could do that. However, in June he decided he had to apply for disability because of a terrible failed back surgery that has debilitated him since July 2008.

SO, I've been developing the cake business and looking for a full time job, too because we have to have health insurance (just try to tell me we don't need a public option, but that's a different thread...). This was a big disappointment, but I'm a realist so I've just bucked up and looked for work, but everyone knows how easy that is right now.

Finally, I have an interview for a job tomorrow that I really, really need and want (even though it pays exactly half of what my last job paid). But it has benefits, so I don't even care at this point.

I know I can run circles around this job, but I also know there's a lot of competition out there. I'm really hoping they don't think I'm overqualified. I am good at interviewing, so I feel pretty good about that, but I feel this one is a bit higher stakes.

Everyone just please wish me good luck, send me good vibes, pray for me, do whatever you do that you think will work. THANKS, cake friends!

12 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:09am
post #2 of 13

I am praying for you, I know due to my dh was on layoff and just got a job and has to go to classes for a while but that is okay, more pay after classes.
I do really pray you get the job. I am also praying for your Husband and I hope he isn't in lot of pain.

Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:15am
post #3 of 13

Good Luck!!! Sending positive thoughts your way!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:16am
post #4 of 13

Thanks so much!! My poor husband is a mess. He's in pain all the time, and he's a big baby anyway, so he doesn't handle it well. We're waiting to see if he gets the SSI approved which is extremely difficult. Two-thirds get denied the first time and then you have to hire an attorney to appeal it, like we have money to do that. It can literally take years to get it.

Having a job and health insurance would sure be a load off my mind. I'm still bummed that I'll only be able to do the cakes part-time, but I'm a big girl. You do what you have to do, right?

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 13

Ruth, you sound like a really nice person! Sending you all the very best thoughts, vibes, prayers for this job tomorrow! thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 13

Oh I hope & will pray you get it. I know how you feel about the health insurance. Good Luck!

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 13

Ruth, good luck! I am thinking of you.

Ruth0209 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 13

I just had my interview and I think it went really well. They're going to call me back if they want me to do a second interview later this week. I'm feeling hopeful!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 13

I'm still praying!!!

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:59am
post #10 of 13

Good thoughts good thoughts good thoughts!!!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:06am
post #11 of 13

I hope you get the second interview Ruth. Good luck on that one.

Ruth0209 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:09pm
post #12 of 13

Well, I got a second interview but I didn't get the job. I was so bummed when they called that I didn't even want to bake the cakes I had scheduled. I've snapped out of it now, though. I have one application still out, and I am going to apply for a Pre-Sentence Investigator job where I used to work (I used to train correctional officers - how's that for a switch from cake decorating?!).

The woman was at least nice when she rejected me. She said they picked someone whose skills fit the job better (which they always say), but I think for me that means they thought I was overqualified for the job. It was a much smaller job than what I've done for 30 years, and half the pay. I imagine that was a factor. They're always worried you'll cut and run as soon as you see something better. Oh, well...

FloraFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloraFlora Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 13

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the job.
I hope you're luckier for the next application.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%