Need Help With Strappy Shoe!

Decorating By MommaPoopadoo Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 3:57am by chillysmommy

MommaPoopadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaPoopadoo Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:06am
post #1 of 4

Client wants me to make this shoe:

http://www.gucci.com/us/us-english/us/cruise-10/womens-shoes/#0-1057244-234894ED1004506

Any ideas on the best way do/support the ankle strap?

Also, this will be my first gum paste shoe... If this were more like the closed-toe, solid-sided shoes I've seen here I'd be a bit more confident, but I'd like some folks with more experience to weigh in if you could...

Given the strappiness - Should I try to assemble all of the pieces while still soft, or is it better to wait until they're dry and attach using - well, what should I use? I figure I'll have to attach the ankle strap after everything dries, but thoughts as to how? I was thinking of making a wire frame to try and set it on, but I'm worried it might be too heavy...

I think the only thing I'm sure about is how I'm going to construct the heel LOL!

Thanks!

Debbie
LL

3 replies
Suzy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzy40 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:56am
post #2 of 4

Good luck with that one
I will be interested to see the finished shoe
I am doing a shoe cake for my 18 year old on the 20th November and that shoe is her style icon_smile.gif

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 4

I think I would let the ankle strap dry as well as the rest of the shoe and use tylose glue to attach it. You can cut styrofoam to the shape of the inside of shoe to hold up back and toe straps HTH

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:57am
post #4 of 4

If you look in my photos, you'll see I did a strappy shoe for the first time. I didn't have the full ankle circle like what you have to do but it was delicate work. I found that it was better to secure everything together while still soft. I had to replace a strap when it was hard and trying to attach it caused certain things to crack. I think you'll find it easier than you expect.

I used cardstock to keep things shaped. My second shoe was better than the first after learning from the first. Some people have used cling wrap or tissue paper but it didn't work for me with it unraveling up and such. Maybe I just didn't do it right, but rolled cardstock was great for me.

I used edible glue which I make from a little gum-tex that wilton sells at Michaels mixed with water. Doesn't take much powder and after it sits, it dissolves and gets thick. Should be like corn syrup. If it's too thick, add water.

Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%